Trans filter question

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I remember finding info a while back but I can't find it again. Need to do a fluild change on my early 08 job 1. It has the external filter in front of the pan. Does it also have a filter in the pan? And I remember talk before about people either switching to the newer style or switching to the way my truck already is.

Just planning to dump the fluild twice and change the filter like I have with my other trucks.

Zmann

Reaction score
you have the least desirable /expensive short run filter and the one that is the hardest to do away with since it has both lines running in to it

the earlier canister you could just leave the filter out yours is all inclusive

I would do( if this were my truck ) the 09 pan/filter swap and either find some parts to eliminate the external filter
or run both

if your going to drop the pan and not do the 09 pan swap you can replace the in pan
filter even though it's not a true filter element it's not that pricey I think it's like 20 bucks and the Fram unit was the exact same as the OEM when I did one

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The internal filter that your truck came with is a lifetime filter. Don't bother changing it for another just like it, that's a waste of money.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
What's actually the better of the two set ups? I don't mind paying extra for the in line filter if it filters better. Truck only sees 8-10k a year at best. If there is an issue with my current set up and the 09 pan/filter is better. I will swap it.

Zmann

Reaction score
yours is fine IMHO if you not into tinkering like some of us

it is not a 100% filter however where as the new in pan filter gets all of the fluid not just the stuff sent to the cooler when the trany is hot

Latest posts

Members online