Trans fixin to take a dump?

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Lately, I've noticed that my trans doesn't seem to be shifting like it should. When I get on it, the rpm's jump before it shifts going from 2nd to 3rd, like it's going into nuetral before it shifts. Rpm's don't skyrocket, but still. Then today, I had to hurry to cross the highway. Stopped at the stop sign, no problems. BUT, when I went to pull away from the sign, seemed like the truck was in too high of a gear. Quickly turned down a side road, truck downshifted and now seems fine. Any ideas? This is on the truck in my sig, running the old "free" Spartan tunes, Hybrid Race.

brian89

Reaction score
My 4r did the "to high of gear after a stop" deal but never pulled out of it, even after a rebuild it hasn't pulled out

doubledee715

Reaction score
direct clutches. Stock 5r's with under 80k go for about 600-900 dollars shipped. Check classifieds on here and psn and org and ebay and clist. some good deals out there.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Mine started dropping out of gears and wouldn't go into over drive. Had metal in the pan and then got traded..... I assumed the tranny was going out and it was more cost effective to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a newer, lower mile truck since they offered me almost what I paid for the truck 2yrs after I bought it

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Well, I put the stock tune back on and drove for a few days. Trans is definitely not happy. Seemed to slip bad between 1st and 2nd. Wouldn't shift until well over 2k rpms. And I noticed my mileage dropped ALOT!!! So, I'm now looking at new transmissions. :fustrate: Great forced upgrade, but I was hoping to get a few other things done first.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
New development today. Hit a hole in the road and trans seemed like it jumped into neutral for a second. Stopped at the stop sign, when I took off from the stop, it acted like the trans was either slipping EXTREMELY bad or was in way too high of a gear. I slowed down to make a turn and it downshifted and then was fine. Ideas?

doubledee715

Reaction score
it could be a number of things but more than likely it's still the direct clutches. Everything you've described in this thread is exactly what I had going on also and upon opening up my old trans it was found the direct clutches had failed except you don't have a shudder in reverse. You can probably get a used stock 5r with 80k or less miles installed for about $1200bux. Like lubbockguy said, it probably won't go into overdrive in the future, it'll be stuck in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Try to get it to shudder in reverse, if you can't then maybe it's something else. My tow/haul started blinking soon after, sounds like yours isn't there yet. Shudder in reverse is directly related to direct clutch failure.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Not too sure if this trans is gonna make it until I get a new one. Pulling out of walmart yesterday, had to get on it to cross 2 lanes of traffic. The ass end broke loose a little. I let off, then went to accelerate again and nothing. completely lost 2nd. Let off again, tried to accelerate, again nothing. Let off again, finally engaged and was able to drive. I had slowed down quite a bit (coasting) before it re-engaged. Hope this thing will keep going until I get a new one.

Last edited:

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
You can probably get a used stock 5r with 80k or less miles installed for about $1200bux.

The thing is, I'm not sure another stocker will hold up for long. I read that the stock 5R isn't rated for much over what these trucks are making for power in stock form. And, since I have alot of future upgrades planned, I might as well get a trans(or try to)that will handle my end results now instead of having to replace the tranny again in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.