Trans fluid for RCD converter and suncoast clutches.

strokinKR

Reaction score
Guys what is my best option for fluid with rcd tc and suncoast clutches. Suncoast said mervon lv is fine but RCD said dont use synthetic. Well mercon lv is synthetic. I would prefer synthetic for obvious reasons so whatcha got for me?

Thanks

Wayne

Reaction score
Those clutches should be fine with generic dex/merc fluid. The clutch material is primarily the reason for different fluid types. Both Alto and Raybestos standard clutch materials are compatible with the generic stuff, but I see no reason to not run any fancy synthetic crap if it makes you feel better. Consult your sales person for warranty considerations to be sure though.

strokinKR

Reaction score
Those clutches should be fine with generic dex/merc fluid. The clutch material is primarily the reason for different fluid types. Both Alto and Raybestos standard clutch materials are compatible with the generic stuff, but I see no reason to not run any fancy synthetic crap if it makes you feel better. Consult your sales person for warranty considerations to be sure though.

Yeah bud im not trying to use anything fancy just Motorcraft Mercon LV.

Wayne

Reaction score
FWIW, I know of a STOCK 54110 with an "RCD" converter putting down 650 HP reliably on conventional dex/merc fluid, and shifting great.

strokinKR

Reaction score
FWIW, I know of a STOCK 54110 with an "RCD" converter putting down 650 HP reliably on conventional dex/merc fluid, and shifting great.

okay so what brand should I buy. I really don't care what I run as long as it's going to be good for the clutches in the transmission and the torque converter

Wayne

Reaction score
I'm only telling you what I've tried, and seen work well. I don't want you knocking on my door, blaming me when something random kills your trans, especially if RCD says not to do it. On our elite diesel transmissions, we do recommend using regular dex/merc, but have no problem if a guy wants to use a synthetic, even on a brand new unit.

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
Nothing negative about Mercon LV fluid. LV and SP are compatable with each other and SP is alittle cheaper so that would be my choice.

Latest posts

Members online