Trans question

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
A question for thew transmission and tuning gurus....

Where am I better off...

1) Having a shift kit in my built trans, and have the tuner leave line pressures alone?

2) No shift kit and leave the line pressure adjustments to the tuner?

I currently have a shift kit in my truck, but I am pondering having it pulled out and leaving that duty to the tuning. I have seen a few comments about leaving the shift kits out of built transmission, but since I already have one, does it make sense to have it removed?

g2shuck

Reaction score
I prefer to leave the line pressure to the tuner in built trans, but the question I would as you is are you having with the trans tuning with the shift kit in? If not dont mess with it

range91

Reaction score
5r's dont really have much to do with shift kit side theres not much of a valve body its more a solenoid body. the pump has a few upgrades that can be done but tuning with these trans is where its at.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Right, but it was included in the trans build originally. I told Eric that my trans had a "shift kit" installed and to tune accordingly, so I assume he did so. I am running the Xtreme X tune and it shifts very firm, but no more firm that with the stock trans.

I am on my last year of the 3 warranty and the company does a once over and fluid flush each year under warranty and said they would adjust anything I wanted or completely remove if I chose. Just trying to decide if I am better of without it...

Snoop

Reaction score
I have a mild shift kit in my trans (didn't even ask the guys for it) and it does shift firmly, but I actually prefer it. I have seen most guys don't do shift kits and leave it all to the tuner. If you haven't had any problems and like the way it drives, I'd say just leave it.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
What issues? I have had a couple "issues" in the past couple years with mine. Mine has been more of a solenoid problem IIRC...

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
first the converter wouldn't lock with the shift kit. Then the truck wouldn't even move. Stock valvebody and it was perfect.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
That is the issue I am having now, and also shortly after I had it installed, which is what prompted me to ask! It will run fine for a bit, but once on the freeway it won't lock the converter. I think that pretty much answers my question. :thumbsup: They replace the solenoids (not sure if that is on the shift kit or ?) and it ran great for almost 2 years and it finally came back. Since this is my last year of warranty, I started researching and more and more threads pointed to shift kits causing more issues than not...

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Yeah they actually discontinued the shift kits... Just put an all stock valve body and solenoids in (except for the gogo solenoid) and you should be good to go.

Latest posts

Members online