Trans Temp - Too Hot?

Shipmate

Reaction score
Wow that thing is rusty good luck on trying to get it undone with out some issues! Your truck must be a job 1 truck.

mortal798

Reaction score
Ok, the first thing to go is that trans filter. Doing a filter and fluid change. Adding an additional cooler too. Anybody have an opinion on adding a thermostatically controlled fan for the extra cooler?

Any set up pics of people that already have done it?

mortal798

Reaction score
Nobody has added an extra trans cooler? I find that hard to believe with all of the heavy haulers on here...

BFT

Reaction score
Nobody has added an extra trans cooler? I find that hard to believe with all of the heavy haulers on here...

the only time i see high temps on my tranny when towing is in traffic and light to light. for the most part my tranny will stay about 180.
ive seen it 230+ but that was going slow up grades stuck behind big rigs that couldnt make it or were heavy.

im pretty sure you can make your own or buy a kit and slightly modify it. we dont have that many place to locate trans coolers but i would think a narrow cooler behind the front bumper would be a good idea if you plan on not running a fan. similar to this...
311bfrvbYkL.jpg

if you do run a fan then you can hook it up to an auxilary switch or some king of switch to make the fan come on at certain temps. derale makes something nice, i know a member from the other site did it bet i dont think he gave any feed back.
3585_1_md.jpg

mortal798

Reaction score
I was looking at the Derale one and one from Hayden. I think the one form Hayden is a little more compact, and it has a fan - similar to the Derale in the pic you posted. I am thinking about just using a rocker switch so I can turn it on when I'm towing, and just normal airflow for DD.

Shipmate

Reaction score
Put that fan circuit on one of your upfitter switches. Turn it on while towing. Or get a temp activated switch and it will only come on at what ever temp you set it at.
I tow a 31 foot travel trailer. Right at about 12k I pulled it 120 miles one way last week to our camp site in Florida. I had to go through Jacksonville FL it was 94 degrees out. The temps never got above 188. I was in a little stop and go traffic but not bad. When I got on the highway I put the cruise control @ 70mph and ECT was 198 to 201 and EOT was 207 to 212. This was all on the Spartan 210 tow tune. The Truck has a 2.5 leveling kit with 35 toyos MTs. Putting traction bars and helper bags on it in two weeks.

mortal798

Reaction score
When I'm in traffic, it hits 205 almost instantly. I am going to install the cooler and fan next week.

BFT

Reaction score
i was out in missouri in the summer stuck in traffic and my temps in my trans got in that same exact range.

i think FAL has a cooler as well

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I know B&M makes a thermostatically controlled fan for trans coolers. I have one for another truck of mine but not installed.

mortal798

Reaction score
Got my cooler today from Summit. Hayden 526 plate and fin type with a fan. I am going to mount it right behind the large opening in the front bumper.

I would hook it up to an upfitter switch, but my truck doesn't have them - my 06 Lariat did :doh:

I will find a nice rocker switch to use and make it all look factory.

Shipmate

Reaction score
Kris,
Get a set of upfitter switches! I will look so much cleaner that way. I bought a set for my 6.0 it was only like 64 or 84 bux. (Long time ago I forgot how much)

mortal798

Reaction score
So my cooler showed up the other day... but it was wrong. It came with 3/8" nipples instead of 9/16" fittings. The cooler and lines on the truck are all much larger than 3/8" so I don't want to add a restriction.

I sent it back and I am expecting the new one on Saturday.

mortal798

Reaction score
I installed a new TFT sensor the other day, and since then it has not had a wrench light or any over heating issues near 200 degrees. It still get to 200 degrees while towing, but doesn't go into limp mode any more.

GROSSpolluter

Reaction score
I installed a new TFT sensor the other day, and since then it has not had a wrench light or any over heating issues near 200 degrees. It still get to 200 degrees while towing, but doesn't go into limp mode any more.

mine gets to 180-185 not towing...

Latest posts

Members online