Trans Upgrading

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So i searched on here and found some that touched what i'm looking at but didn't really answer all questions and were really old posts... Thanks in advance for help.

My truck is running idp extreme street tune, holders 190/30 injectrs, a kc stage 2 turbo, and snow stage 2 water meth. Im guessing on the water around 600-625. After a half ass getting on the highway, the trans is really pissed off, and shifts really soft and id call it sorta slipping.

I think it may be solenoid related as its kinda intermittent, and am curious as to how good the aftermarket modified solenoids work? I cant really afford to build the trans now, and dont know if internal arts will fix it. Any input is appreciated.

sootie

Reaction score
get GH tunes for starters.

the modded direct solenoid is only gonna help on the 3-5 shift. Only a bandaid if it is already slipping.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It seems to mostly be the 3-5 shift. It will occasionally feel like it pops out of gear too at about 3/4 throttle right after the 3-5. Then i gotta back it down to about 50-55 mph and it will click back in.

Another thing i forgot to add is shift pressures are turned up +25 percent with the sct, dunno if this has anything to do with it...

slightlymodded

Reaction score
I have an 06 with 210k on the stock tranny. Got the truck at 180k and it shifted nice and firm, changed the fluid within 2 months trying to be a good owner and it has never shifted right since then, I've changed fluid and both trans filters twice since then (always using ford mercon v) and still no luck. Truck has a diablo t1000 and some bolt ons and felt sluggish and you could notice the tranny slipping and a little of the 3-5 flare. Put 190/100s in last week and the if I try a pull anywhere around a 40 roll it will shift and rev out. Talked to holderdown and they said the solenoid is just a bandaid (as mentioned above) and that they are no longer selling them due to this. I have a spare tranny with 60k on it, doing the billet plugs, 6.4 pan, 6.4 pan filter, and a billet triple disc 2100rpm stall converter and see how much abbuse the stock internals will hold. Hope this helped some, I can only speak on my experience.

slc dzl

Reaction score
I have an 06 with 210k on the stock tranny. Got the truck at 180k and it shifted nice and firm, changed the fluid within 2 months trying to be a good owner and it has never shifted right since then, I've changed fluid and both trans filters twice since then (always using ford mercon v) and still no luck. Truck has a diablo t1000 and some bolt ons and felt sluggish and you could notice the tranny slipping and a little of the 3-5 flare. Put 190/100s in last week and the if I try a pull anywhere around a 40 roll it will shift and rev out. Talked to holderdown and they said the solenoid is just a bandaid (as mentioned above) and that they are no longer selling them due to this. I have a spare tranny with 60k on it, doing the billet plugs, 6.4 pan, 6.4 pan filter, and a billet triple disc 2100rpm stall converter and see how much abbuse the stock internals will hold. Hope this helped some, I can only speak on my experience.

Whose tuning do you have?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I spoke with alex at idp earler today. He seems to be leaning towards solenoid issue as well and said lately they've seen issues with the aftermarket solenoids. They're writing a couple new tunes with the trans pressure bumped prior to what i can bump it with the sct. We'll see how that works. As i said before too, this is kind of an intermittent issue.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah i will. I should be able to drive again monday... have to see what the dr says though:fustrate::(

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I've changed fluid and both trans filters twice since then (always using ford mercon v) and still no luck.
And there's your mistake right there. MERCON V is the wrong fluid for this trans. It can cause all sorts of problems.

Change it again and use the right fluid, which is either MERCON LV or MERCON SP. You might be able to save this trans.

swinky

Reaction score
And there's your mistake right there. MERCON V is the wrong fluid for this trans. It can cause all sorts of problems.

Change it again and use the right fluid, which is either MERCON LV or MERCON SP. You might be able to save this trans.
Feeling optimistic today mark?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Pretty sure mine ate the converter last week, I'm just gonna put it stock until I can afford a trans. Sounds like an upgraded converter and input are gonna make the stock clutches hate life, unless I can find another cost effective alternative.

slightlymodded

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice, tranny is coming out regardless but I will be sure to use LV or SP with the new one.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Here is the Mercon V vs LV stuff again. I think all the builders ( aftermarket ) recommend merc/dex or Mercon V...

Latest posts

Members online