Trans went boom ;( thoughts?

Never_Enough_Pwr

Reaction score
Long time creeper, new poster. Hi!! Anyways guys, My main question is if anybody has heard anything about the road ripper transmissions from certified transmissions. i havent found much about them. Especially from a diesel standpoint. A 350 tuned 6.4 apparently went through 6. (This was from a buddy of owner not actual owner so im not sure on accuracy of that) Then a 6 liter had one bad from the factory, then snapped a shaft. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a 6.7. From what ive seen there fairly reasonable and they stand behind there product, 3 year 100k mile warranty. At the same time i dont want my truck in the shop all the time for failures either warranty or not. The only reason im considering/ looking into them is the guy that built my 7.3s is pushing them. Im going to ask why he wont build it himself tomorrow (i didnt realize this was a prebuilt unit when i was on the phone) My plans for the truck are dual fuelers, 369sxe and 60%. So i wanna get it done once right especially since this one costs 6300 all said and done!! For that much money i feel i have some more options. Just curious if anyones had any experience with these guys or what you guys would do. They claim it will handle that, i just cant find much on them!! So far im not impressed with what ive found but i cant confirm any of it. i trust you guys and value your opinions over what little ive seen. Plus it always seems easier to find negative experiences over positive most of the time on the internet. This forum is one of the only places i find honesty and positivity. Im on the eastern shore in md so im going to check a price at mpd, do some research before i do anything. Just looking to get some opinions from you guys i havent seen a recent trans post. I hear midwest is good but im nowhere near them and id rather not have someone else do the install. Then heaven forbid if i have something fail and have to pull it out and send it back. (Not at all saying a midwest trans would fail, ive heard nothing but wonderful things. im just thinking realisticly since im unable to do the work myself)

Thanks in advance

Buck1

Reaction score
Haven't heard of them, but I will give the Midwest boys a plug, you won't go wrong there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Midwest is a stand up group and priced reasonably to boot....I wouldn't hesitate

Never_Enough_Pwr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My main worry with midwest like i said is just the fact that im nowhere near them. So if i do need tweaks or anything like that i feel like its a bit too involved for me. Paying somebody to pull it and all that sounds a little much. Im not trying to make 1000+ or anything. Just looking for a solid build. i may be stuck with this road ripper or mpd if there reasonable and they arent super backed up. My trans guy told me since there still somewhat new parts arent readily available yet and he can only get me a stock rebuild kit, deep pan and a shift kit. Which is the main reason for not building it himself. Is that accurate? He assured me hes installed close to 50 on diesels and hasnt had one come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My main worry with midwest like i said is just the fact that im nowhere near them. So if i do need tweaks or anything like that i feel like its a bit too involved for me. Paying somebody to pull it and all that sounds a little much. Im not trying to make 1000+ or anything. Just looking for a solid build. i may be stuck with this road ripper or mpd if there reasonable and they arent super backed up. My trans guy told me since there still somewhat new parts arent readily available yet and he can only get me a stock rebuild kit, deep pan and a shift kit. Which is the main reason for not building it himself. Is that accurate? He assured me hes installed close to 50 on diesels and hasnt had one come back.

the only tweaks you could POSSIBLY need would be in the tuning. we ship MANY of them out and we've had 1 out of 50 ever need anything . you'll be just fine, hit me up if i can help you out with any further questions .

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
We have our street transmissions in stock at midwest.

You can order from us or from any of our vendors such as bigrpowr above.

Literally can ship same day as ordered

217-718-6119

-Jared

Never_Enough_Pwr

Reaction score
So its safe to say that all you guys are on the same page that you cant beat a midwest trans? And they are your first choice? Id be getting the comp one just so i have room to grow. I wanna be in high 7s low 8s soon. I just cant justify spending 5k on a unheard of transmission company/factory. On there website it said that you have to purchase a converter from them to validate the warranty? Do you guys know if the converter is extra ontop of the transmission?

sootie

Reaction score
yes you cant beat a midwest trans, yes converter is in addition to the trans, yes you will need to flush the lines and replace the cooler to validate the warranty (easy peasy job btw). And you will need a trip to the ford dealer to have them program your truck with IDS to accept the different solenoid strategy (this has to happen anytime you switch a 6r140)

Never_Enough_Pwr

Reaction score
Not too worried about the ids my trans guy said that he was gonna have to reprogram it anyway. Im gonna work out some numbers and see what i come up with. ill have to make a couple more calls to see what the final price would be. Guess it really depends on what converter i use. Thanks for the help hopefully i can get this sorted out soon

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So its safe to say that all you guys are on the same page that you cant beat a midwest trans? And they are your first choice? Id be getting the comp one just so i have room to grow. I wanna be in high 7s low 8s soon. I just cant justify spending 5k on a unheard of transmission company/factory. On there website it said that you have to purchase a converter from them to validate the warranty? Do you guys know if the converter is extra ontop of the transmission?

ive been making right at 1000 on my comp unit for a year and a half . no problems here. hit me up if i can make you a deal , in stock and ready to rock !

50_shooter

Reaction score
My Midwest trans is holding up under lots of sled pulls at 700 horse. I can't say one bad thing about it.

Everybody says I'm pushing the stock rods at my power level. Add 60's and engine may go boom!

Never_Enough_Pwr

Reaction score
My Midwest trans is holding up under lots of sled pulls at 700 horse. I can't say one bad thing about it.

Everybody says I'm pushing the stock rods at my power level. Add 60's and engine may go boom!

What all do you have done to yours? Im trying to work up a price on one now. Im still trying to figure out rods on these motors. Almost seems like a crapes shoot. Some guys break them, some dont. Considering how long my trans lasted im not confident mine will last long with the 60s and no build. Its alot easier to build it before it blows lol

doo dah

Reaction score
If you plan on going 800+, just grab a suncoast unit and call it good and have room to grow.

Is there a reason NOT to go with a comp unit? I am at 200k miles and got a fairly finicky trans so replacement is coming soon. I don't ever plan on being at rod bending power but would like to get to the point I have my 63mm non vgt maxed on fuel so not sure I need a comp but if shifting is not different then why not?

Never_Enough_Pwr

Reaction score
Precision 6870, dual fuel, stock injectors, stock bottom end, Midwest tuning. Dynoed 703.7

Not bad at all. Im hoping to end up somewhere around 780-830. In time motor will get built probally. Was really hoping my trans would hold together a little bit longer. But you pay to play right!! Hopefully ill be priced out and shipped by tomorrow lol. Once its installed ill give you guys a review on it

50_shooter

Reaction score
It will definitely be mean if it holds together. I personally haven't heard of a non vgt throwing a rod, but I'm sure it probably has happened. I'm sure Jared or Mike could give us an example and tell us what power level it happened at. Actually, come to think of it, it's been a long time since I've heard or read about any 6.7 throwing one...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
It will definitely be mean if it holds together. I personally haven't heard of a non vgt throwing a rod, but I'm sure it probably has happened. I'm sure Jared or Mike could give us an example and tell us what power level it happened at. Actually, come to think of it, it's been a long time since I've heard or read about any 6.7 throwing one...

a few of the guys that thought dual fuelers and a 369 were a good idea, sent their blocks to heaven , spectacularly . we typically recommend anybody going close to 700 have a built motor or be ready too . many factors in play but .. 700 is a nice number to gauge. i've seen guys live at close to 750 , and others not for more than 100 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.