Trans won't stop flaring

TX_S

Reaction score
Ok so I've had my trans redone twice now after the initial build. And I'm convinced it's not the current tuning or the builder causing issues. Seems I have that same issue each time. It shifts amazing nice quick and firm for about 1800-2000 miles then all the sudden it starts flaring from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It shifts slow and no positive feel from any shift but 5th. I was running gearhead tuning but don't like it cause it shifts super lazy and when I called to try an get them to up line pressure I was told they lowered the line pressure from stock cause I told them it was a built trans. So now I'm running jesse byall's tuning which I absolutely love and it shifted great untill now.

I heard there was two different tcm for 2008 im pretty sure mine is a job 2 truck. What's the difference between them? Is this something I should look into?

Also my trans temp dash guage is intermittent

Really need some help here guys something isn't right but no idea what could cause it. Maybe I need a new set of solenoids. Just put a new stock direct drive in it as well as all new clutches> 6-direct 4-inter 4-over

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Ok so I've had my trans redone twice now after the initial build. And I'm convinced it's not the current tuning or the builder causing issues. Seems I have that same issue each time. It shifts amazing nice quick and firm for about 1800-2000 miles then all the sudden it starts flaring from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It shifts slow and no positive feel from any shift but 5th. I was running gearhead tuning but don't like it cause it shifts super lazy and when I called to try an get them to up line pressure I was told they lowered the line pressure from stock cause I told them it was a built trans. So now I'm running jesse byall's tuning which I absolutely love and it shifted great untill now.

I heard there was two different tcm for 2008 im pretty sure mine is a job 2 truck. What's the difference between them? Is this something I should look into?

Really need some help here guys something isn't right but no idea what could cause it. Maybe I need a new set of solenoids. Just put a new stock direct drive in it as well as all new clutches> 6-direct 4-inter 4-over

Look at your build date on your sicker on your door.

"Job 1

Build dates 01-07 thru 06-07

First builds of the 08's. Lower valence in front on front bumper much shorter than later job builds.
Radiators would leak, most should be replaced under warranty by now. Also there was a recal for a venturi T to be added to keep the radiators from splitting.
TCM, early on it was thought that the transmission control module was a hold up for transmission life, but has sense been fixed by more refined trans tuning
Transmissions,Job 1 was the only model to have an external filter as well as the internal in the pan. some hard part differences like overdrive planetarys but i dont know all the details so hopefully someone can step in a clarify the changes.

Injectors had a recall for hanging open and filling the crankcase full of fuel, VIN specific recall

Job 2

Build dates 07-07 thru 12-07

Second build batches of the 08 model year

Got a bigger valence on the front bumper, said to improve mileage by 1-2 mpg.

TCM part numbers changed. Other small changes were made hopefully more can chime in with more info

Job 3 pretty much anything built in 08 was a job 3

not familiar with all the changes

2009 Job 2 added SYNC.

Last year of 3.73 gears as an option

2010s

3.55s were the highest gear ration selection"

sootie

Reaction score

run the regular trans files from gearhead not the reduced pressure ones. its slipping on the shifts. i had the EXACT same symptoms and went back to the regular trans files and my trans is perfect.

TX_S

Reaction score
They sent a reg and hybrid. Told me to run hybrid for single turbo

sootie

Reaction score
Phone Larz and tell him you want the Hybrid trans file (or whatever one you choose) for a STOCK TRANS. load it up and i bet your issues will disappear like mine did.

any tune will do it if the line/shift pressure is too low. some trans builders factor in the extra line pressure the tune will give it when they build it. if they have, and you run a reduced pressure tune, the clutches will slip and roach your trans in short order.

if you are using H&S as the tuning platform, run their canned tunes as an experiment and see how it reacts. if it is better-do what i suggested.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Generally tho if it's flairing then the shift time is too fast and the trans can't make the shift. So the shifts might be too firm. Or it's a solenoid. These transmissions are all about timing so I don't know if you have missed solenoids or if they replaced the stock solenoids when it was rebuilt or if the trans builder used a shift kit when they built it. Lots of factors here

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If you are running h&s you also need to try the Canned tunes with all the different settings and see which ones make it better or worse

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Generally tho if it's flairing then the shift time is too fast and the trans can't make the shift. So the shifts might be too firm. Or it's a solenoid. These transmissions are all about timing so I don't know if you have missed solenoids or if they replaced the stock solenoids when it was rebuilt or if the trans builder used a shift kit when they built it. Lots of factors here

This, sounds to me like you have a solenoid issue. A lot of transmission shops do not test and or replace solenoids on these when they do a rebuild. The 5R110 is a weird transmission that I would only have someone who is proficient in them work on. And most of the time the clutch pack failures are due to a failed or failing solenoid. Check with your builder to see if they used new solenoids when they did yours.

Gearhead

Reaction score
We go a little less than our stock trans pressures for a "built" trans, but some built transmissions only have slightly more clutch area (and some not at all). If it was shifting too soft we would have given you the stock trans pressure files if you would have asked.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
We go a little less than our stock trans pressures for a "built" trans, but some built transmissions only have slightly more clutch area (and some not at all). If it was shifting too soft we would have given you the stock trans pressure files if you would have asked.
Sorry to hijack the OPs thread! But I have a quick question for Gearhead. My truck (08 f250 6.4) deleted with your tunes. I run your street tune and it shifts great but when it goes into 4th gear tc locked it jerks. Not slipping. It's only when getting on it. Half throttle or better. What causes this? Thanks

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

swinky

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the OPs thread! But I have a quick question for Gearhead. My truck (08 f250 6.4) deleted with your tunes. I run your street tune and it shifts great but when it goes into 4th gear tc locked it jerks. Not slipping. It's only when getting on it. Half throttle or better. What causes this? Thanks

They shift to 5th not fourth. Honestly if it's livable I'd leave it. Last thing you want is a soft 3-5 shift.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
They shift to 5th not fourth. Honestly if it's livable I'd leave it. Last thing you want is a soft 3-5 shift.
That's what I thought to. But going by the cts it shows 4th locked. And it's pretty aggravating when getting on it. It reminds me of a manual transmission when you have it in the higher rpms and you start patting the gas. The way it will buck.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Matt will make it right.
I'm sure he will. I haven't messaged him until now. I thought it might be the transmission relearning but it hasn't gotten any better really. And I'm not bitchin or putting down his tuning by no means. I don't want anyone to think that I am. The other shifts and power is great! And it's completely smoke free! I'll probably order his xtreme street and race file before long anyways! :cool:

TX_S

Reaction score
Matt no disrespect meant here at all. Ive called many times and left messages and finally gave up. Truck ran great with the tunes just didn't like how the Trans was acting. the builder did not put new solenoids in the trans. I did however put a new dd solenoid in about a month and a half ago. Guess I should go ahead and replace all the others

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yeah i think most trans builders start off with a new set of solenoids. You also need to find out if it has a shift kit in it or not. And what all from the shift kit was actually installed.

There are a lot of little tricks (that i dont even know) to make them act differently.

Yes tuning is important but matching the tunes to the hardware is the key.

IMHO too firm is way worse than too soft on a 5R, burnt clutches are much cheaper than broken shafts/hubs/plantaries

TX_S

Reaction score
Here's the list of what went into the trans
Billet trpl converter
Alto dd and inter clutches-6&4
GPZ overdrive clutches-4
Billet input, intermediate, low reverse hub, 5 pinion planetary
Overhaul kit
S-K shift kit
Molded piston set

I put in a new direct drive solenoid Im gonna change all the others and see how she works. Larz sent me the "stock" trans files a while back but I can't remember why I didn't keep running them so I just reloaded them and will see how they do tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online