Transfer case acting goofy help needed ASAP

skevac

Reaction score
I posted in the aftermarket section with no responses yet so I'll try here.

Truck is in my signature. Running Gearhead tunes on a Mini maxx. Don't drag race, truck pull, or beat the piss out of it. The 4x4 light in the dash is blinking either 4 low or 4 high. I haven't touched the 4 wheel drive switch for a couple of months and the light just started blinking after I started it to go to work today. Didn't notice anything acting funny this morning but tonight the torque convertor locks and then unlocks in 4th gear and then finally locks in fifth. Also the truck will not shift into 4 low or 4 high. The light blinked once like this during the winter when I had been using the 4 wheel drive quite a bit but never acted up after it sat overnight. Anyone got any ideas? Hopefully it's nothing major?

A little update. Went to drive it home the 4x4 light was out. I decided to try and put it in 4 wheel drive turned the knob at approx. 15 MPH and it made quite a bang and I'm pretty sure went into 4 low. Stopped put it back into 2wd and drove it home 5 miles. Transmission was shifting fine and the TC was locking up normally. Got home shut it off. Went to go somewhere else light still blinking backed up from my garage made one hell of a bang again in reverse. Pulled forward everything seeming normal and then decided to stop in my drive and try to back up no reverse. Try and drive forward it's grinding. Put it in neutral then back to drive and it moves but i can tell by the way it's driving it's in 4wd with the knob still in the 2wd position. Get it back to the garage and now it won't go forward or reverse. I just left it there for tonight. Seems to be the transfer case to me but looking to have someone point me in the right direction. Is the transfer case computer controlled? If so any chance my tunes or tuner could be causing any of this. Thanks

genie144

Reaction score
I don't have any help but have a similar problem. 4x4 light just started randomly blinking. Was thinking of taking to the dealer to pull codes and diagnose...

Did you figure yours out?

Sam

skevac

Reaction score
I don't have any help but have a similar problem. 4x4 light just started randomly blinking. Was thinking of taking to the dealer to pull codes and diagnose...

Did you figure yours out?

Sam

It was showing a code for the transfer case shift motor. The motor was bad and replaced but it didn't fix the problem. The dash had been out of it a few months earlier to replace heater parts and they found a pin in an electrical connection near the steering column that wasn't getting a good electrical connection. Hope this helps, good luck.

Latest posts

Members online