Transfer case problems?

powerstroke95

Reaction score
Recently I've noticed it takes my truck a while to disengage from 4X4. It has the electric shift, with manual hubs.

This morning, running late for work, I take off rather quick and all a sudden its like the truck went into neutral. First thought was maybe that electric shift module was acting up. So, I took it off, saw the shaft coming out of the side of the transfer case, and turned it with a wrench. Feels like there are 3 positions (assuming 2wd,4 hi, 4lo) and in all 3 positions the driveshaft isn't turning.

Also, I put AE on it and pulled 2 codes:

P1876 Transfer Case 2 -wheel drive Solenoid Circuit Failure
P1832 Transfer Case differential lock-up circuit failure

Do these codes sound like something that would keep my driveshaft from turning?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
are you sure it was actually not in neutral? as in manually shifting down to 1st and back up through the gears?

have no idea if it was related to it or not but my brothers truck just had those codes along with a trans range selector code and i put a neutral safety switch in it and it fixed all his problems and the codes went away but that was only for a little while of driving it around after the fix.... i need to re scan it to see if the codes came back...

powerstroke95

Reaction score
Well now I pulled the tranfer case all together and put it in gear. The output shaft isnt turning. No it wont move anywhere, I had to pull it back up to the shed. After I took the shift motor off and used a wrench to shift it, it still wouldnt move so I dont think it was stuck between gears

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
sorry man, im lost on this one...

so you said you where driving along and you where in or out of 4x4? and while driving, it felt like the trans popped into neutral? then you checked it and pulled stuff apart, and when you did this NOW the shafts wont turn at all? or it locked the tires up and threw you into the steering wheel while driving and its still locked up? both front drive shaft and rear drive shaft outputs in the tcase wont turn or are you saying that the output shaft on the trans itself wont turn?

i may have confused myself more....

live life full throttle

powerstroke95

Reaction score
Haha sorry. Yeah I got on it a little in 2 wheel drive while turning onto the road. Then I heard a pop and it felt like it was put into neutral. Ever since then it won't turn the driveshaft. I can still pull it around, its just like its in neutral.

powerstroke95

Reaction score
Any other thoughts on this? I removed the trasfer case and my output shaft isnt turning in any gear. Im starting to think my problem is in the transmission, but is there anything else that could keep the transmission from turning?

powerstroke95

Reaction score
Well Ive been doing alot of research and I think it sounds like it might be the Sprag gear? Seems to be a common problem in the 4r100 and the symptoms kinda sound the same as im experiencing.

Latest posts

Members online