transmission fluid question

gambling209

Reaction score
going to change the fluid in my tranny. have heard ford charged what they reccomend for it(fluid type). question is:
1. what kind of fluid?
2. how much and is there a drain on the torque converter?

jdgleason

Reaction score
You should need mercon V. I wanna say just to drain and replace the fluid its 11 quarts. Not a drain on the stock converter.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
No even close on the fluid or the amount. Where did you come up with this useless information?

The transmission uses either MERCON SP or the newer fluid, MERCON LV. MERCON V will KILL your transmission, so I hope you didn't follow jdgleason's advice. Just draining the pan will take 5-7 quarts, it varies trans to trans depending on how much drains from the torque converter back into the pan. There is no drainplug in the torque converter.

gambling209

Reaction score
i was told that ford now reccomends the mercon LV over the SP. if this is true can you mix the two. what is left in the trans and the new thats is being put in the trans. i liked it better when all fords took type f.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Is the LV suppose to be better than the SP? I am just about to do a drain and refill and I have two cases of SP in the shop.

gambling209

Reaction score
mark, the proceedure you wrote about changing fluid in the 4r100, can you do the same on the trans in my 2008. the 5r110 orwhat ever it is. which cooler line is the return on it? thanks

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Is the LV suppose to be better than the SP? I am just about to do a drain and refill and I have two cases of SP in the shop.

I was told that the SP is actually a very high grade trans fluid, I have not switched to the LV yet and will do so only when I can't buy the SP any longer.
Also I need on average 8 qts. to top off after dropping pan to change filter.

Wish I knew why SP is being discontinued. Probably works too good and not enough trannys are falling victim to planned attrition, corporate ladder decision to protect their bonuses? :poke:

mortal798

Reaction score
It is Mercon LV now. I just replaced the Job 1 external filter and changed the fluid this summer. I believe I used 8 quarts. Buy a case and have a few left over.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
mark, the proceedure you wrote about changing fluid in the 4r100, can you do the same on the trans in my 2008. the 5r110 orwhat ever it is. which cooler line is the return on it? thanks
No, you can't. There is an internal thermostat in the 5R110. It takes a heated flush machine to properly flush this transmission.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
My truck is a job 1 with the external filter. Is there any reason for me to pull the pan or just drain, refill, change external filter? I was planning to do the drain and refill now and in another 1k.

kylebryan

Reaction score
There isn't a need to change the internal filter until it's rebuild time.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have a question about fluid changing. Obviously its better to do a complete hot flush on the 08-10 transmission but is a drain and refill an adequate fluid change for these trucks? I have right at 70k on my truck and its had a complete flush at 30k. Should i do a complete hot flush or would i be safe by just draining and refilling? Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.