Transmission questions

wrongway

Reaction score
That's all good, but how are they shifting while racing? And shifting under normal conditions? I'm just thinking these 6R's are junk myself.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Mine shifts awesome on idp tunes on race. Or any of my idp tunes actually! I had 30k behind me and didn't feel like waiting to change tunes. Towed it on race tune. Not a single slip. Just a lot of smoke.

wrongway

Reaction score
I have Eric's tunes on my SCT. Would give those tunes a thumbs up over Mini Maxx. Really like the gauges though

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
We have a 2010 Regular cab 350. 3.55's & 35" Toyos, and a 2015 Regular cab 350, 3.55's & 35" Toyos. The 2015 will give a length on the 2010. Plus it drives and tow's nicer.

Reaction score
That's all good, but how are they shifting while racing? And shifting under normal conditions? I'm just thinking these 6R's are junk myself.

I've got a 6r that I would put against any 5r ever built.... Ten second quarter mile, 1100+ hp dyno runs and I drive it every day. No retuning to go the track or dyno.

Lot has to do with tuning, also there were a lot of valvebody and solenoid issues. That's all taken care of when updated with the new VB and calibrated right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
by "new valve body" are you referring to a 15+ spec valve body? or are you talking about aftermarket stuff?

I'm definitely way behind on what's going on with the 6R :(

wrongway

Reaction score
I've got a 6r that I would put against any 5r ever built.... Ten second quarter mile, 1100+ hp dyno runs and I drive it every day. No retuning to go the track or dyno.

Lot has to do with tuning, also there were a lot of valvebody and solenoid issues. That's all taken care of when updated with the new VB and calibrated right.

Morgan, you have my attention! Tell me all about your set up please. Not looking for a racing trans, just one that shifts right under normal conditions. I am willing to try most anything at this point.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I had shift flairs (mild) and the reverse delay problem. Minimax stock tunes.
Had it in for the reverse delay problem. Ford fixed it under warranty with not to much knashing of gums either.
Put the latest minimax tune on when it was done. Trans behaved itself pretty well after that though I never liked the 2-3 shift and late converter lockup.

Recently switched to the gearhead tune. Frankly it's quite a bit better. A little firm, but not bad and it behaves itself better than the box stock minimax tunes.

Happy w/ it.

Do have a bit of a problem on long hills grossing 25k w/ EGT. Running 70-75, 4th gear, 3krpm and EGTs climb until the mm starts chirping. Tow tune.
Going to add no limits intake, H&S boost tube and an intercooler before I tow again. Will see if that solves it.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I had shift flairs (mild) and the reverse delay problem. Minimax stock tunes.
Had it in for the reverse delay problem. Ford fixed it under warranty with not to much knashing of gums either.
Put the latest minimax tune on when it was done. Trans behaved itself pretty well after that though I never liked the 2-3 shift and late converter lockup.

Recently switched to the gearhead tune. Frankly it's quite a bit better. A little firm, but not bad and it behaves itself better than the box stock minimax tunes.

Happy w/ it.

Do have a bit of a problem on long hills grossing 25k w/ EGT. Running 70-75, 4th gear, 3krpm and EGTs climb until the mm starts chirping. Tow tune.
Going to add no limits intake, H&S boost tube and an intercooler before I tow again. Will see if that solves it.

I run the stock tune for long hills. Seems to tame the egt's down a good 100F. I'm running the no limit intake and intercooler mind ya so I might be seeing different results...

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Did you see a big difference when you went to the intercooler and intake?

I never paid really close attention but I remember seeing mid 1300's on one Hill last year and just did that hill this year and it was in the low to mid 1200's with my tow tune loaded (Gearhead). Gearhead gave me a custom tune now for the intercooler and intake etc as well. Both times pulling the same 10K trailer with similar conditions. Noticed some very big torque gains for sure... And less smoke

Last edited:
Reaction score
by "new valve body" are you referring to a 15+ spec valve body? or are you talking about aftermarket stuff?

I'm definitely way behind on what's going on with the 6R :(

All the valve body part numbers are the same and supersede to one number. But the latest ones have the best refinement and kinks worked out of them.

Morgan, you have my attention! Tell me all about your set up please. Not looking for a racing trans, just one that shifts right under normal conditions. I am willing to try most anything at this point.

We do a lot of internal clutch modifications and machining of parts. The weak clutches are modified to add capacity and along with new pumps and updated valve/solenoid bodies they are pretty much as good as it gets.

If you were not looking at a new Trans I would at minimum do a valve body. That will require calibration at a ford dealer or a competent shop with IDS.

As far as the tuning, well.... I do my own vehicles because of what they are and me being the person that drives and knows them best. By far I am not claiming to be the best tuner or anything else. But there are differences that tuning can help with.

Just for fun watch this https://youtu.be/PYaPq4T2cKg

Isobaric

Reaction score
All the valve body part numbers are the same and supersede to one number. But the latest ones have the best refinement and kinks worked out of them.

We do a lot of internal clutch modifications and machining of parts. The weak clutches are modified to add capacity and along with new pumps and updated valve/solenoid bodies they are pretty much as good as it gets.

If you were not looking at a new Trans I would at minimum do a valve body. That will require calibration at a ford dealer or a competent shop with IDS.

As far as the tuning, well.... I do my own vehicles because of what they are and me being the person that drives and knows them best. By far I am not claiming to be the best tuner or anything else. But there are differences that tuning can help with.

Just for fun watch this https://youtu.be/PYaPq4T2cKg

Purely out of curiosity, who built the converter you are using? The first video would indicate you've had it re-stalled?

Isobaric

Reaction score
It is a factory converter that has been worked over. No one makes a completely "new" "aftermarket" converter yet.

Very cool.
I did not think an aftermarket converter had been released yet, but I haven't been following the 6.7 game too closely.
2600 effective stall now?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ehh, I could stall it to 3000 if I wanted but it would just blow the tires off. Stall greatly varies with how well your turbo spools. This one spools like stock so it will stall very high.

Isobaric

Reaction score
Ehh, I could stall it to 3000 if I wanted but it would just blow the tires off. Stall greatly varies with how well your turbo spools. This one spools like stock so it will stall very high.

10-4.
Was just curious how far you had loosened it for the 66mm (or 68?) inducer. Sounds like spool is not an issue however.

Latest posts

Members online