Transmission Service

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
Planning on having my tranny hot flushed by the ford house before I drive across country again, truck has 118 on it and I dont know when the tranny was serviced last, anything else I should do to it? Like some kind of additive?

duddy

Reaction score
I know a few guys that have had issues with flushing and tranny goes out after. Not sure what caused it but a few guys may be able to help you out more.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Transmission flush machines are evil. Well dark lord of the sith evil to be more accurate :)

Changing the fluid and filter is good. But flushing is bad.

If your going to service your trans at all then changing fluid and filter every 75k to 100k miles is ideal. If your not going to do service then its best to leave it alone completely. Additives, flushing, etc just stirs up gunk thats there and causes premature failure. Some additives can cause slippage that wouldnt of normally occured.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I disagree. You can't change all of the fluid in a TorqShift without a hot flush machine. There is nothing evil or bad about flushing. But never, never, use additives.

Changing the fluid every 30k is good. Changing it every 75 to 100k miles is just asking for trouble.

bboteler

Reaction score
From what i've heard if you have never flushed you shouldn't...just drop the pan change the filter and refill. Any truth?

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
From what i've heard if you have never flushed you shouldn't...just drop the pan change the filter and refill. Any truth?

The longer its been since it was changed the more stuff will get broke lose with the flush process. So its especially bad if its gone say 100k+ miles and then gets flushed.

Not to mention your getting crud back in there from the last person that had their trans "flushed" on most flushing rigs.

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
I disagree. You can't change all of the fluid in a TorqShift without a hot flush machine. There is nothing evil or bad about flushing. But never, never, use additives.

Changing the fluid every 30k is good. Changing it every 75 to 100k miles is just asking for trouble.

Mark, I understand that you are the torqshift god, so you do suggest I go ahead and have it flushed? I almost don't want to according to what everyone else on here says.

Zmann

Reaction score
There is no difference in a heated flush or driving down the road on a hot day

except the fluid that would be at 180* going through your cooler and back to the transmission is intercepted and replaced with clean new fluid pre heated to 180*

no Mojo , no back flush, no chemicals = no problems

Last edited:

amarillo250

Reaction score
I did drop my pan at 100k miles and put the 6.4 pan under after and replaced the filter. Never hat any issues. The mechanic at Ford said the hotflash is not the best way to go, verry carefully worded. I got my own theorie, Hot flush, then drop the pan and replace with 6.4 pan and filter.
What you think?

Zmann

Reaction score
I don't see the need?
but it won't hurt and then you also get the better filtration

I have done the pan drop plenty and at 60k I did the heated then a drain and fill at 70k then the 08 pan 85k so mines had lots of love

Atsah

Reaction score
I had my trucks flushed at the dealer at 50K and never had an issue with either of them.. My 03 hadn't ever had a trans service and I flushing it at 130K and drove another 60K and it never had an issue.. :shrug:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
No.
The longer its been since it was changed the more stuff will get broke lose with the flush process. So its especially bad if its gone say 100k+ miles and then gets flushed.

Not to mention your getting crud back in there from the last person that had their trans "flushed" on most flushing rigs.
All of that is crap. None of that is true, you believe the internet urban legends.

Mark, I understand that you are the torqshift god, so you do suggest I go ahead and have it flushed? I almost don't want to according to what everyone else on here says.
I would flush it if it were mine.
There is no difference in a heated flush or driving down the road on a hot day

except the fluid that would be at 180* going through your cooler and back to the transmission is intercepted and replaced with clean new fluid pre heated to 180*

no Mojo , no back flush, no chemicals = no problems
EXACTLY!!! Finally, someone that understands how this works.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
No Im not believing internet urban legends Im going from experience. But Im not going to argue with you unless directly responded to. I dont have transmission problems personally but I have seen the flush machines ruin cars and trucks from being flushed by them.

Also Im at 330,000 miles on the factory transmission in my truck, 280,000 miles on my automatic bmw, 245,0000 (I think) on my wifes automatic bmw to list a few. No failures so far following what I listed and no flush machines either.

Ive seen way to many cars and trucks screw up after being flushed to take it as random chance.

I look at the flush process being needed to "fully" change the fluid about like that internet wiz recommending changing the oil in the hpop rez :)

A normal fluid and filter change gets enough out to handle the jobs.

Captainharley6.0

Reaction score
This is first time i caught wind of switching to a 6.4 pan and filter. Can someone elaborate on this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
yes
buy an o9 pan

and Fram/OEM filter for an 09 and put it on

bboteler

Reaction score
:whs:

One of the easiest mods i did to my truck, you don't need a new gasket either yours is reusable and fits the new pan. 09 pan is deeper and uses a media style filter.

Zmann

Reaction score
Agreed I don't think it holds more fluid kind of deeper

but it is reconfigured so it only holds the new style filter in place and not the old screen

I went with a pan that can be configured to fit them all even a 4r

search Derale it holds 7 more quarts and wasn't crazy money.

bboteler you pull your toilet paper filter yet?

Steelnc

Reaction score
Had mine flushed yesterday. First time it's been flushed and only the second time it's been serviced. I've been great on service on everything except the tranny. 117k. So far so good.

Zmann

Reaction score
I did it for the heck of it factor.

the pan was a decent price and it wasn't clear how many more QTS it held online

so I measured it when I received it.

the pan also has cooling tubes or " turbulators " lol so that may or may not do something to cool the fluid ?

The extra capacity debate has been around since the first added capacity pan !

Some say the more fluid the longer it takes to cool after it gets " too Hot" = true IMHO

Some say the more fluid the longer it takes for it to get " too hot" while towing heavy up a steep grade = True IMHO

I think the more fluid the better and my thinking is would you rather drink a shot glass of water with a drop of turpentine or a glass of water with a drop of the same ?

now you may ask what is the turpentine representing in a 5r?

and that is where My theory falls apart LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online