Transmission slamming into 2nd

chaselee

Reaction score
The last week or so I've noticed this. Cruising slow like thru a parking lot or such, when it shifts into 2nd it slams pretty hard. Harder than it ever has before. Weird thing is it's intermittent and only does it going slow like that. Taking off from a light normally it doesn't do it. First thing that comes to mind is tuning, but it's been ******d and tuned for several months and this just started. The truck only has 36k on it. It was bone stock when I bought it. Anyone have ideas? Thx

chaselee

Reaction score
Truck is a 2012. Tuning is done thru a SCT X4 from Rudy's diesel. It has their ****** tunes which I believe are done at "punch it".

Notneb

Reaction score
What version of P!P tunes do you have? Should be v8, make sure your tunes are the newest ones. If it's P!P then you can contact them on their facebook and they're pretty fast at getting back to you.

chaselee

Reaction score
What version of P!P tunes do you have? Should be v8, make sure your tunes are the newest ones. If it's P!P then you can contact them on their facebook and they're pretty fast at getting back to you.

Sorry to be ignorant, but I'm not sure what P!P tunes are.

Notneb

Reaction score
Punch it tunes: P!P. Have to spell it special on here or it gets blocked out.

chaselee

Reaction score
Ahhh, I see alot of stuffed on here blocked out like your cussing.

To answer your question. I have no idea what version I have. I bought the X4 from Rudy's and it came with the ****** tunes on it.

Notneb

Reaction score
Hit them up on Facebook, tell them what's going on, they'll probably just send you the newest version. They're on east coast time btw.

chaselee

Reaction score
Hit them up on Facebook, tell them what's going on, they'll probably just send you the newest version. They're on east coast time btw.

Ok. I don't have FB. I'll see if I can find a number for them

Stokt

Reaction score

I thought I read in another thread that the version 8 tunes are only for the 2015 and 2016 trucks. If they have them for 2012, then I need to get them too.

doo dah

Reaction score
I have been having the same issues except it is much more frequent now than before. I had GH tunes and they could not get it sorted out so I am moving to H&S with MCC to try and combat it. Apparently I have a unique ECM file that is difficult to tube with SCT. I'll let you know if things get better with H&S platform over SCT. Mine is a 2012 also.

KAC1023

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same, 2011 with SPD tunes off a SCT X4 on the tow tune. I heard there is a TSB for rough shifting, where they flash your TCM and PCM and change 3 or 4 solenoids in the valve body. I stopped by my local Ford dealer the other day, told them every gear is fine except the 1-2 shift. Because of my high milage I would have to pay out of pocket. This week I'm going to call a local transmission guy and see what he thinks.

KAC1023

Reaction score
Little follow up, bouncing around on the net and some other forums I stumbled upon the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 11-7-10. It has to do with trucks slipping from 2-3 and some other "weird" transmission moods. The TSB is two parts, one part is changing 3 solenoids in the tranny on the valve body and the second part is a PCM and TCM flash. Bouncing around more I had different opinions, some say only the gas truck needs a PCM and TCM and the diesel only needs a TCM flash. On the valve body there are 7 solenoids, which are very easy to get to. You need to change 3 of them, #2 #4 and #7 counting from the drivers side to the passenger side. Now the hardest part of the job, each solenoid has it's own number from 1-5, the 4 Ford dealers near me have NONE of them in stock too, so plan on loosing your truck for 2 days. The Ford part number is BC3Z-7G383-? the question mark is the corresponding number on your solenoid to a letter 1 being J, 2 being K, 3 being L and so on. My #2 and #4 were both 5's so I had N's and my # 7 was 4 for a M. Of course the #5's are the most expensive, 75 bucks each at Ford, the #4 was 35 bucks. So I got 100 for 12 quarts of Ford ATF the "SP" I went with and the filter Motorcraft TF-187, then almost 200 for the 3 solenoids, the pan gasket is reusable. Ford quoted me 800 for this job, LMAO. Tomorrow after work I'm grabbing the solenoids from Ford, the oils being delivered and the tranny Filter I'm grabbing at another dealer. When I do the job tomorrow I will have my phone with me to take pics and do a nice writeup on doing this procedure yourself. As far as flashing, my truck has a tune because that heaving exhaust thing fell off, and my tuner said I shouldn't have to have the truck reprogrammed because it is just a mechanical problem, not a flash. Even though Ford wanted the truck and to charge me 120 to flash it first, I said no way. The job can be done with easy tools, 1/2" wrench for pain drain plug, 8mm socket for the pan bolts and a T30 (torx 30) for the bracket holding the solenoids in. Thanks for anyone following, I'll do the best I can tomorrow.

KAC1023

Reaction score
So mad... I changed the 3 solenoids yesterday after work, took my time, sipping a few beers. Low and behold still bangs into 2nd and when slowing down it'll bang from 3rd to 2nd on the downshift. I saw a post where a guy dropped his truck off to have all the solenoids changed.. Waiting to hear back if it had any improvement or success. So mad, 300 bucks for nothing, I do notice the truck going into reverse so smooth though, like you can't even feel it.

Latest posts

Members online