Transmission upgrade? 5 speed

Rico

Reaction score
Need to service my tranny very soon. Are there upgrades available for the 5 speed? Thanks

JSchuricht

Reaction score
The ZF6 is not a direct boltin, it requires more clearence from the cab, different driveshaft lengths, larger ujoints and a different transfercase unless you can find a input yoke to convert your existing one. The OD is slightly better and you gain a granny gear.

Unless you get one for free or compltely need to replace your existing trans you might as well stick with the ZF5 and a little better clutch for the 160/30's.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The ZF6 is not a direct boltin, it requires more clearence from the cab, different driveshaft lengths, larger ujoints and a different transfercase unless you can find a input yoke to convert your existing one. The OD is slightly better and you gain a granny gear.

Unless you get one for free or compltely need to replace your existing trans you might as well stick with the ZF5 and a little better clutch for the 160/30's.
whs^^^

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Rico

Reaction score
Ok. Yes that is more work than I'm interested in doing. I have a LUK clutch that seems to work great. My sincro's are shot, completely shot. Hard to drive and gears get grinded so I figure a new tranny

Bugman

Reaction score
Why not just have a shop rebuild it?

That would be a lot cheaper than either a rebuilt one or a new one if you could find one.

Rico

Reaction score
I've read on this website that the tranny's are cheap to just buy complete. Maybe that's just talk. But I went to Ford and they were ask My $3000.00 or so for the syncro's

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
if you plan on keeping the truck then id have it rebuilt properly.. that way you know what you are getting. i think midwest trans is a vendor her. could be wrong but they do rebuilds..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Rico

Reaction score
Keeping the truck. I have a 95. Was the 5 speed improved before they switched to a six speed?

Rico

Reaction score
Ok, Great to know. So I'll be in the market for a s47. Any suggestions? I was curious if they shared the same housing.

Rico

Reaction score
True. I'll check the tag again but it seemed pretty wiped out last time I was under there

Latest posts

Members online