Transmissions out. Now what do I do?

joedown

Reaction score
So I was driving home the other day and the OD/oh **** button started flashing. Tranny has 58,000 miles on it. Took it to three different places to try and get the code read with no luck. I figured this was coming but the timing was very inappropriate and I'm going to have a talk with my truck about that. Pulled the tranny and shipped it off to John Wood to fix it permanently.

So the question. Is there anything I should do while the tranny is out of the way like mods and such? Or just check out the ass end of my engine?

TyCorr

Reaction score
check your uppipes. Or replace them. Other than that, I don't.think so.

brian89

Reaction score
I wanted to do up pipes when mine was out but i have no money so i didn't, but it would be so easy with it out

MossBack

Reaction score
Both hpo plugs cheap seal and when they leak they LEAK!! I did my torque converter and thought the plug leaked didn't change it and ended up a month later trying to do it with trans in the way.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

joedown

Reaction score
My truck only has 58,000 original miles. Are any of those things mentioned necessary at that low of mileage?

moose99psd

Reaction score
so hold on let me get this strait, od light was flashing, noone could read codes, so you pulled it and sent it out to be built... did i miss something here?

fatsix

Reaction score
so hold on let me get this strait, od light was flashing, noone could read codes, so you pulled it and sent it out to be built... did i miss something here?

Maybe he just needed an excuse for a built trans?

Check the U joints and transfer case? Degrease everything? Clearance the firewall a little more?

Last edited:

joedown

Reaction score
X's 2 Seems extreme when it could have been something very simple.

True, but this was something I was planning to do anyway plus a stock tranny doesn't like my engine mods.

What would I check with the transfer case? I haven't read much of anything about those having any issues.

Denver

Reaction score
Could the flashing od light be the speed sensor like the superdutys? You'll love your trans when you get it in and driving. John replaced the uppipes when he put a trans in my truck but I had 162k at the time.

Tom S

Reaction score
I don't blame him for getting a built trans. The OBS does not take injectors nearly as well as the SD does without getting built. I think I got my BTS at around that mileage.........after adding injectors.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Like already said, replace the uppipe gaskets. As far as the end plugs and other seals, my theory is if it isn't leaking then dont screw with it.

Latest posts

Members online