trouble with a "high idle"

CTFFEMT

Reaction score
2000 F250 ZF6, under 1k miles off a rebuild - pertinent upgrades include 238/100's, RR fuel system, T500, M208, and had my tunes re-burned by Tony Wildman.

After the first fire up, truck ran great. About 20 minutes later, the RPM's climbed to 1200 at idle and stayed there. I drove away figuring it was some kind of bug and the truck still ran great. Thing is it has not gone away...

At idle in "daily driver" the RPM's will hang at 1k-1200. It will even do it when decelerating as if slowing coming up to a stop light etc. I figured it was just the tune because it would not do it in "race" or "extreme" tune settings. However, as of the past 2 days it will now do it in all settings.

I pulled the ICP sensor and found oil. I replaced both the sensor and pigtail and now I am back to having the "high idle" in the daily driver setting only.

What the heck is going on? bad IPR? I have no CEL or DTC's.

somebody help please! this is driving me nuts!

Here is a video... the clicking is me toggling between tunes. I then hit the throttle and you can see how the RPMs will stay >1k. I also shift from N into R and let off the clutch which also makes the RPMs hang up.

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/CTFFEMT/media/VID_20130512_122414_zps32b73131.mp4.html

VID_20130512_122414_zps32b73131.mp4.html

Last edited:

sniper_101

Reaction score
Did you run this chip on this PCM before?

I only ask because I would certainly check connection/contacts first if you haven't already. My idle will do exactly that without the chip installed on my single shots (idles normal for the first minute or two, then slowly creeps up to 1000-1200RPM and decel/return to idle is very slow), and also did very similar when I had a bad connection with the PCM.

CTFFEMT

Reaction score
Yes, same chip same PCM. Just sent it back during the build for re-burns. I will pull it and check connections today. Thank you.

CTFFEMT

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I figured it was going to be the ICP or IPR but didn't know if there was anything else that could affect idle. Ordered the IPR re-seal kit. I will take it apart and clean it when I get the kit. Hopefully that does the trick!

CTFFEMT

Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to pull the tuner today and check connections. I will try to as soon as I can

Latest posts

Members online