Truck cranks but no start

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
So a quick run down.

I drove my truck to work. Went to leave work and it didnt start.
Fuel bowl has diesel in it. It had some weird codes. I dont know but i really want to say its electrical. I looked at all my fuses and everything there is ok. Tried to start it a handful of times. Dont know if smoke was coming out when cranking. Will check today. Recharging batteries at the moment.
The other day i pulled some extra wiring out that was old. but i made it to work with no issues. I changed the tune at work but changed it back and thats the only change i made. I unplugged the IVS and plugged it back in. was having issues with it. I have read around the forums and am looking at different things.
It has RPM at crank so i dont think the CPS.
IPR sensor is like a week old. It climbs when i crank.
Duty cycle goes up when i crank.
Looks like battery voltage drops to 9.4 when cranking - both batteries have 11.9 volts separated. charging them now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:grouphug:
P1139
P0603
P0475

sootie

Reaction score
whats ficm voltage. what happens if you unplug the icp sensor?

Derik_C

Reaction score
I had one bad battery, truck would turn over, but not fire.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Black 02

Reaction score
Doesn't the truck need at least 10V to fire?

I'm guessing you have one or two bad batteries at that voltage.

Jessy7.3

Reaction score
11.9 volts is not a good number. It should be 12.6 for a good battery. Charge them up and unplug the charger. Leave them alone for a little wile. Then make sure they still read 12.4 if they do then they hold at least 80% of maximum capacity and should be okay. Next you could put them in the truck and leave um overnight or just for a wile and they should be above 12.4 or you have a parasitic draw and somethin in your truck is running the battery down all the time. All vehicles need to have at least 9.2 (I think but not sure on that number) cranking volts to work. You can do a voltage drop across the starting cable buy placing a lead on your meter to the battery terminal on the passenger side, then at the starter positive. Idk if your in a cold area but you can fill the truck to run and see if there is voltage across the glow plug relay. You can take a test light and hook to battery positive and unplug your valve cover gasket with the built in connector, if you have a 2000 or newer there are two connectors with four wires and the two outside pins are glow plugs, and if it's older than 2000 then you will have one big connector with 8 wires and the 4 outside pins in the connector are glow plugs. So you just touch the pin that the glow plugs are on. Or if you have a meter you pout one lead on the battery positive and the other on those pins wile reading ohms and it should be less than 1 ohm if I remember correctly. So just check your batteries charged up and make sure all the things in the glow plug circuit are working correctly. Also you can go to your icp and just unplug the pig tail, make sure there is no oil in it or the seal around should be smooth and have no oil running out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
Charged batteries overnight. 12.3 volts on one 12.7 on the other. installed them and together read 12.4 v. hooked up my dakota to jump it just to give it more juice. No luck. Drops to 10.4v while cranking.

rusty1161

Reaction score
Check your IPR harness along with others. Oil/fuel leaks eat the insulation off of the wires. This cause a no start for me, I replaced my IPR plug and wires and all was good.

Rusty

Latest posts

Members online