Truck died randomly

Lamont_24

Reaction score
I was pulling out of work today and as I hit the pedal the rpms went up and then boom just died. Put it in neutral and it started right up. I just changed the CPS and glow plugs and it is set on towing with an edge. The codes that are being thrown is the keep alive memory, ebps, and the injector control module. Would either these cause it? Or is there another reason? The reason I changed my CPS was cause it said it was intermittent and it's not throwing that code anymore

PSDEng

Reaction score
Let's see the code numbers....if by what you are describing as the injector control module is the IDM (Injector Driver Module) then that is most likely the problem.

Having the numbers helps us help you a bit better.

Lamont_24

Reaction score
Right now it's only saying its throwing two codes
Code 1 of 2
P1280 - injector control pressure circuit out of range low
Code 2 of 2
P0470 - exhaust back pressure sensor circuit malfunction

PSDEng

Reaction score
Ok, well the Keep Alive Memory code is due to you either having the batteries unhooked or because of your chip, nothing to worry about. Same with the ebp sensor, don't worry about it. I would clear the codes and see what codes come back.

Lamont_24

Reaction score
Well I've had this IDM come up a couple times already, but I did clear them last night and I'll check again for it after work today

PSDEng

Reaction score
Found this in a thread today, it should answer your question.

there are (4) different IDM MODELs...

100A

these "numbers" have ZERO correlation to output voltage...nada...zip...

ALL 7.3L IDM's from 1994.5-2003 output the exact same voltage from the factory...regardless as to what MODEL number the board revision labeled on the case.

IDM's can become weak over time, as can be seen at this link...but the weakness isn't generally associated with a loss of voltage...but rather an increase in the 'gap' during the PWM signal WHILE the injector is firing...

http://swampsdiesel.com/IDM/Injector Waveforms.htm

Graph 1 shows a normal/stock IDM..

Graphs 6&7 show the increased gap on high mileage IDMs...however the VOLTAGE (amplitude) is identical for every one of these IDMs...regardless of the model number.

All IDM's have this gap, which is normally.32 to .36 ms. As IDM's age, this gap grows longer, and performance suffers when it gets aver .42-.45ms or so.

This link http://swampsdiesel.com/IDM/High-Performance IDMs.htm
shows the distinct difference in waveform after the voltage (amplitude/height of the signal) modification (Graph 1 is stock, Graph 2 is voltage only)...as well as the increased frequency modification...(Graph 19 is HV stock frequency...and finally Graph 20 is our High Voltage High Frequency IDM).

I'm not discounting the 'butt-o-meter' affects of swapping from a MODEL "100" or MODEL "100A" IDM to a later MODEL 120...

but any (real or perceived) increase in performance could only be attributed to the decreased 'gap' of simply installing a 'newer' IDM...NOT from the later model IDM's having any more actual voltage...

hope this finally clears up any confusion and misconception regarding the differences between any of the stock IDMs...as there is no difference...other than circuit design, and a model number..the output signaling was identical (when these IDMs were new).

Lamont_24

Reaction score
Okay, so what I got from it is that they are all exchangeable, and there's no power difference in them, correct? I just like to be reassured

Lamont_24

Reaction score
Ignore that last post, I think I'm gonna go with the swamps, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for your help. And if that's your truck in your avatar I had the picture of when it was being hauled by the crew cab as the background of my phone. Some amazing trucks

PSDEng

Reaction score
Yes they are all interchangable. Unless you are wanting to do an IDM mod anyways are you sure you want to pay that much money to troubleshoot a problem?
Yes that is my truck in the avatar, where did you see me at?

Lamont_24

Reaction score
Well true, I'll have to take a buddies, I mean in my two friends we have 5 OBS's. but I saw the picture in the OBS pic thread and got a chubby right away haha

Latest posts

Members online