Truck got hit by lightening. Advice please.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
If I was in your shoes, I'd see if the insurance will try to total it out. If not, have everything fixed by an electrical based company vs just a normal repair shop then off load it. I will NEVER own anything hit by lightning or that has had a surge run through it. My same friend had his house hit by lightning and it blew out every electrical component on the south side of the house. Some of the stuff he "salvaged" still gives him fits.

:stupid:

We have had a tractor hit out in the field before sitting overnight, tried to start it the next day and got black smoke out of the vents. It fired everything in it, the insurance company just fixed it instead of totaling it out so we sent that thing down the road ASAP. We have also had lightening hit bar and jump across to the house and fry everything it, actually blew the phone off the wall.

IMO if something has electrical problems it will probably never be right, we have felt with them a few times on the farm. Replaced a ton of stuff and still have problems. Now if we have something that doesn't work correctly due to electrical problems we get rid of it. Not worth the hassle

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Too bad it wasn't a hybrid. Damn thing would hit 500 miles an hour after that strike!!!

Good luck with the fix!!!

Buffalo444

Reaction score
That truck is probably toast. beg them to total it. tell them if they don't they will probably be replacing every electrical component in the truck over the next few years.

Charles

Reaction score
First off.... doesn't lightning travel from ground to cloud... not the other way around...

Secondly.... if the path chosen was in fact a vehicle, and the voltage was high enough to arc across thousands of feet of atmosphere, how do we figure the amperage wouldn't turn a truck into fried, melted crap left smoking where it sat?

I wonder if the charge just entered the vehicle and charged it up like a capacitor, never actually making a complete circuit, making for far less amperage

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Charles, I think that's right. Lightning goes up from the ground...

Not any where close to all the time.... 1 out of maybe ten go from the ground up.. and that might still be figuring to high!!!

Watch the lightning next time you have a storm.......... It come from the cloud down... I even have pictures to prove it!!

Why do you think when a tree get hit by lightining it splits from the top down??? Why do you think people pu lightnig rod on TOP of there houses...

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Not any where close to all the time.... 1 out of maybe ten go from the ground up.. and that might still be figuring to high!!!

Watch the lightning next time you have a storm.......... It come from the cloud down... I even have pictures to prove it!!

Why do you think when a tree get hit by lightining it splits from the top down??? Why do you think people pu lightnig rod on TOP of there houses...

This is correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MUYsIjTKvk&feature=related

Charles

Reaction score
That is simply the part you see. I haven't studied lightening in some time, but I seem to recall it heating, then the trail actually running backward from cloud to ground afterward and that's what we see.

I will search it out and report back.

On Edit: It looks like the part you see is referred to as the "return stroke". It is in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, lightening travels in both directions, named "positve" and "negative" lightening. What I referred to is "positive" and the cloud to ground is negative.

Ground to cloud accounts for less than 5% of all observed lightening, but apparently holds many times the amount of energy. The article reinforced the fact that what we see is the restroke.

So over 95% of lightening does in fact come from cloud to ground.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what you come up with Charles...

Lightning has always intriged me.. When i was younger I would sit out on roofs just to watch the lightning storms we had..

I will admit this.. It was not very smart to do.. AND i no longer do it.. I just stay on the ground under our porch roof....

brian89

Reaction score
It was an "indirect" strikeand if it was to charge the truck, that tiny little 12V battery would explode, and those tiny little wires would melt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online