Truck is down...Time to mod?

!!!Paintrain!!!

Reaction score
First off, I've been out of the diesel scene and forums for a few years and I'm sure a lot has changed in the industry since then. I apologize in advance for the long post and I'm sure my questions have all been addressed multiple times.

My truck is an 05 F250 extended cab short bed with 116,000 miles. Current mods are: SCT Tuner with Erics tunes, spearco intercooler, Afe intake, turbo back exhaust, 03 Turbo, Eric's FICM tune, 4" lift and 35s.

Took my truck in the shop today and it's down 2 injectors so I need to do something. I'm debating on just doing 8 OEM injectors or doing a mild build. My overall goal is longevity and reliability while still having a fun truck (I know, probably impossible). I have a 2014 Shelby in the garage that gives me all I'd ever want in the way of a speed fix, so I'm not looking to build a race truck. I want something I can enjoy driving again, with a little more pep while still not being afraid of when it's going to break down again.

Over all I was thinking the following:
Head Studs and Gaskets
EGR Delete with new Oil Cooler
Regulated Return
FASS or AD Pump
175cc Injectors
Powermax Turbo
Coolant Filter
Re-Tune by Eric at Innovative

I feel that this setup should net me a comfortable margin of performance without much sacrifice of reliability. I'm not going to beat on the truck, it's never going to be hooked to a sled or down the 1/4 mile. Just driven to work, job sites, the mall and everywhere in between. Towing is done every now and again and it's never heavy or even moderately heavy, just light duty.

I would just really appreciate the input of others on the forum. Would this setup be any less reliable than the factory setup? Would the transmission last under this combo if driven like a sane person? I think I will end up keeping the truck for a few more years before moving on to something else so I don't want to have to go through another build a year or two from now.

I appreciate any info that everyone can provide me. Thank you in advance.

!!!Paintrain!!!

Reaction score
Skip the powermax and give barder a call and see what he has got for you.

See, that's the down fall of not being active around here anymore. I don't even know who that is (flame away lol).

Would you mind providing a link, if it's allowed?

Before I went MIA, everyone seemed to be raging about the Powermax so that's why I thought I would include it in my build. But if there is a better option out there that is comparable price wise, I'm more than willing to take a look at it.

Thank you for the response!

slc dzl

Reaction score
There are some great turbo option now days.
Vision diesel has a line of modfied vgts, there is also kc turbo.

Marty

Reaction score
Stock OEM imo for your goals.

Powermax or Barder... whatever is nice but in all but in reality do you need more HP then the truck currently makes?

if you're only down 2 injectors... are you puking? if not, why not just replace the injectors and roll? Like you said, you have the mustang for speed.

!!!Paintrain!!!

Reaction score
Stock OEM imo for your goals.

Powermax or Barder... whatever is nice but in all but in reality do you need more HP then the truck currently makes?

if you're only down 2 injectors... are you puking? if not, why not just replace the injectors and roll? Like you said, you have the mustang for speed.

I completely agree with that Marty and besides, I'll never get the money out of it if I put it in. Truck is not puking, just breaking up through mid range rpm and throwing white smoke. Only way to even drive it was to put the tune on it. Otherwise it acted like a turd going down the road.

I just don't want to run into a situation where I do these OEM injectors and then 6 months down the road my EGR or Oil cooler bites the dust and I wish I would have done it while the truck was already apart. I already have the studs sitting collecting dust since the dealer did factory bolts with the new gaskets instead of the studs I had overnighted :doh:

I mean in all honesty these injectors make it a total of 15 I've lost since getting the truck brand new in April of 05. Granted, these are the first ones I've dropped since switching to Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w-40 oil years ago. I just didn't know if I'd gave better luck running an aftermarket set with a decent fuel setup? And if I go that route, I might as well do the turbo to take advantage of the extra fuel?

I just feel like I'm in a never ending cycle of fixing the truck, it's good for 8-10 months and then it needs to be looked at again. I just always feel as though symptoms are being addressed while the overall problem or root cause is never corrected. It's got me to the point where I was literally a signature away from getting a new Raptor because I was just fed up with dealing with it. If I can put 10 into it and be happy for the next 5 years, it will be a helluva lot less than trading it in on a new vehicle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.