Truck is sluggish VGT stays at 15%

ford rules

Reaction score
Hey guys, so a buddy of mine just picked up a 04 6.0.

The turbo was stuck so I pulled it off and cleaned it. Now with the truck back together the turbo starts of at 85% then drops to about 60% at idle the stays at 15% while driving.

Everything else looks to be normal while driving and watching my insight, the only thing is the ebp sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I cleaned the sensor and tube.

Im wondering if I should pull the vgt solenoid out and see if its sludged up with burnt oil.

Also I had one other though, when I cleaned it and put it back together could I have flipped the actuator arm around so it is always say open or closed?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I had a similar issue before where the turbo was really laggy and would take forever to light. Started watching EBP and noticed it was bouncing from min to max value. Took it apart and cleaned it, no change. Then I noticed the wire harness going to the EBP sensor had a slight "knick" in it. Two of the wires were chaffed and rubbing on a hose clamp I had under there. Fixed that and put a rubber hose over them to protect them and problem went away.

ford rules

Reaction score
Ok, got the truck al fixed last night. Ended up pulling the turbo back off and pulled the VGT solenoid and piston out.

Found that the arm that is supposed to sweep the unison ring is broken internally. So when the solenoid tries to move the vanes it isn't actually doing anything since the pin that is supposed to hold the half moon gear to the arm just spins instead of turning the gear and in turn sweeping the unison ring.

Never seen this issue before so thought I would share!

Also it was throwing all sorts of codes while driving and now that the turbo is good im getting no other codes.

Latest posts

Members online