Truck Missed Shift and Rev Limiter

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
So on my way home from work yesterday I was rolling at about 10mph, I landed on it and launched and kept it pegged. Well the truck never shifted or hit the rev limiter until I let off which I hope wasnt too late. It acted like it was stuck in gear or something and I had it pegged until it sputtered like it was going to shut off. When that happened I glanced at the rpms and the were at 5k:doh:. First of all why did this happen? Could it be a tranny issue? Ive done the same thing before and never had that problem. Second of all what could racking my motor out to 5k have done? How much damage was likely?

ghohouston

Reaction score
turbo could be leaking oil and casued it to run away on the oil... as far as the shifting goes, i would guess a tuning or trans issue

yeehaw

Reaction score
mine did that one time racing a cummins, banged 4600 and i let out. I've put 15k since then and it's never done it again. No other motor issues either.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
When I hit 5k I blew the check ball out of the hpop and had some valve to piston contact. Nothing too major. Other times when I've bounced off the rev limiter I can usually let out a bit, let it shift, then hammer down again. I've been through a few transmissions though lol. You'll probably be ok if you don't do that too often, I'd talk to your tuner about it, maybe he has a solution.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
When I hit 5k I blew the check ball out of the hpop and had some valve to piston contact. Nothing too major. Other times when I've bounced off the rev limiter I can usually let out a bit, let it shift, then hammer down again. I've been through a few transmissions though lol. You'll probably be ok if you don't do that too often, I'd talk to your tuner about it, maybe he has a solution.

and i thought hitting 4500 rpms on mine was high..........

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
It's only happened once, I was spooling it pretty hard, let off the brake, the tires broke loose for a split second then the truck died after a lot of popping and loud noises lol. Normally when I hit the rev limiter it's around 46-4700 rpms.

jdgleason

Reaction score
turbo could be leaking oil and casued it to run away on the oil... as far as the shifting goes, i would guess a tuning or trans issue

What?

Sounds like the trans flared. Clutches are probably getting burnt up. Talk to your tuner like stated above and I'd do a trans service to check health of the trans.

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
Well I guess a big part of the problem is that I still have canned SCT tunes....:fustrate:
Thats the first time that has ever happened though, and I havent had any issues before or since. I do have more 3-5 shift flare than when I had lower miles, If Im going to replace solenoids should I have the trans flushed before or after? And will that along with better tunes prolong tranny life?

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
This has happened to me once or twice. Usually from putting it to the floor from a roll, it seems like it starts to spool then tries to downshift and the trans gets confused... I usually let off as soon as it happens, engine hits the limiter and sputters a few times, and then just coast until everything figures out what it is doing and then off you go all good again.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
You probably have a little bit of this going on.

1170824_10151660438285073_705724818_n.jpg

1185666_10151660438380073_802132753_n.jpg

imagejpeg_0_zpsd26a6496.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/brandydela/imagejpeg_1_zps64de01d8.jpg?t=1377553799

imagejpeg_2_zps94ff722b.jpg

jdgleason

Reaction score
Ill admit I was wrong for posting that, I didnt read what happened carefully enough. I went back and saw the truck shut off. Ive had a 6.0 run away once on me while running a contribution test, it was scary!

I was making sure we were on the sale page lol.

A buddy of mine was messing with the pump on his 12 valve dodge and it started to run away. He had the presence of mind to put it in 5th and dump the clutch lol

Scary stuff when they do run away.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Thats my plan if my tdi jetta ever runs away, well if im driving that is, dont care how fast or slow im going, its getting dumped in 5th and brakes locked up. Ive personally seen an old v8 n/a cummins and that 6.0 run away. The 6.0 had an intercooler full of oil, and a blown egr cooler, so it filled our shop with white smoke, we all had to clear out for 10 minutes or so, it was so smoky we didnt try to get the truck shut off. The cummins is another story, we have a fleet of g.I.'s (duece and a halfs whatever you want to call them) and a guy at work pulled a fuel tank, and blocked the return off, so technically, it didnt run away, but basically did the same thing. There were about 10 of us runming around tearing up boxes and cutting mudflaps frantically to block the intake off. That n/a cummins had a 5" straight pipe too, so we couldnt hear each other screaming at each other, it was crazy.

Latest posts

Members online