Truck Shopping

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I'm going to try to get into a 6.4. I'm tossing around the idea of getting a truck with a manual transmission, but that's not set in stone. I know I want an Extended Cab Short Box, though I may consider a Crew. I look forward to getting it set where I want it and being part of this group.

Chris

Dieselgeek

Reaction score
I've always driven manuals, and I wish I had searched more to find a 6.4 with a manual. I miss driving one.

madman1234509

Reaction score
My only problem with one, is that they just arent as fast from a stop, or if you plan to drag race. If its your daily driver and you dont care about those things, and the fact that you WILL need a clutch if you tune it, then take your time and find exactly what you want.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Love my hand shaker. It may take a while to find one, but be patient, they are out there....took me 6 months, but well worth the wait.

Homesteader

Reaction score
So standard Trans is the way to go on the 6.4's ? What's the problem with the Auto's?

B585Ford

Reaction score
Auto is the way to go. They hold way more power in stock form.

??? I guess completely stock manual vs. completely stock auto, the auto will hold a little more, but once you upgrade the clutch, you have a solid tranny that should be able handle at least 800 HP. An auto that would handle that much HP would cost way more than that (I haven't priced them, but I am guesing at least 3x more).

I am not saying the OP should get a stick. There are definitely trade offs (mainly drag racing, boosted launches, speed of shifting), but if you aren't worried about acceleration, the stick does have some major advantages (much cheaper to make reliable 700+ HP, towing, and complete control of the drivetain/no unexpected shifts). Some people just like sticks, some just like autos...it just depends on your preferences as to which would suit you best.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
What does a Trans like that run in cost?

Also what would be the best year to get when shopping for a 6.4?

Big money for the stage 5. Not 100% sure on actual cost. It'll hold plenty of power though. If you ever did build an auto trans, I would build it based on your expectations for the engine build. If you want 600-650 HP, a very mild transmission build would be all you need. It's going to be more extensive and more expensive beyond that.

Late build date 2008, and all 2009-2010 trucks. I would avoid 2007 build date 6.4L's. They are much more prone for issues.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Big money for the stage 5. Not 100% sure on actual cost. It'll hold plenty of power though. If you ever did build an auto trans, I would build it based on your expectations for the engine build. If you want 600-650 HP, a very mild transmission build would be all you need. It's going to be more extensive and more expensive beyond that.

Late build date 2008, and all 2009-2010 trucks. I would avoid 2007 build date 6.4L's. They are much more prone for issues.

Right...problem with expected is where does it end. For people like me who are a budget, all I do is dream about the next mod. I am at about 650 now...love the setup, but in the next few years I HOPE to get to about 750...will that happen....idk but it is fun to dream about!!!

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I'm leaning towards a 6 speed if I can find it, but not opposed to an auto. I know that I am not into racing, not that I don't get on it from time to time, but I'm not going to a track. I use it for chores around the house and commuting. I just want it to be reliable. I know the 5R's are great behind the 6.0's, but they seem to be struggling behind the 6.4's. I know that they are making more power and there are differences in the TCM.

All I know is that the clock is ticking as winter is coming and I need to be able to plow and get to work!

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I know the 5R's are great behind the 6.0's, but they seem to be struggling behind the 6.4's. I know that they are making more power and there are differences in the TCM.

They become a problem at a really high power level. Stock 5R110's, with tuning, are holding 550+ horsepower. I'm making 650ish with a mildly built SunCoast transmission with close to 50,000 miles on it and an RCD torque converter with no issues.

What kinda power are you looking at making?

cory151

Reaction score
I still have my 99 7.3 handshaker and I cant wait to get rid of it. When i got it a year ago I thought Id love a manual but they are so slow and just impractical in traffic or city driving for me.

Spectre32

Reaction score
I have been looking to buy one as well. I have another 6.4 engine so ideally if i could find one with a blown up engine it would be best, for me anyways. My research has shown the late 08+ models are the better ones. However 2013 is when the first wave of warranties will be expiring. Typically you can find them cheaper once the factory warranty is gone...or if there over 100K miles.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
My 6.4 was built dec 2006 and the only problems I've had with it were the elite parts I put on it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
lol, that sounds bad. the point I was trying to make, is just because trucks made before x date are more commonly having issues, doesn't mean they all will.

Latest posts

Members online