Truck turning off randomly

jashart

Reaction score
I have a '99 ford F250 7.3L. The truck just started randomly turning off while I am driving. It happened 3 times in a 1/2 mile drive. I've always had problems starting it in park, but can usually start it in neutral. I checked all the fuses and the battery terminals are clean. When this happens I can't start the truck until I turn the key all the way off then turn it back on.

I got advice from a friend that it's probably the starter switch, I just replaced the starter switch and now I cant start the truck at all. Also, I somehow got the shifter indicator moved over 1 position, so when it's in park, it's showing that it's in R. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the problem starting it. I don't know how to get the gear position indicator back in the right position.

Another thing I noticed is that the WTS light doesn't turn on at all. Also, the check engine light turns in when i turn the key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Reaction score
No WTS light means no power to the PCM, or the PCM is dead. Check fuses again. The fuel bowl heater tends to go bad, short out, and pop the fuse to the PCM. Also do you have a chip on it?

jashart

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't have a chip on it, and I'll double check the fuses. Any idea how I can get my shift indicator back into the right spot?

ToMang07

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't have a chip on it, and I'll double check the fuses. Any idea how I can get my shift indicator back into the right spot?

Is the shifter working? Not the needle, the actual shifter? (R, N, D, 2, 1)

There is a little white gear under the dash that can adjust the needle's position, assuming the shifter itself is working. Also check the bolts in the column, be sure they are tight.

jashart

Reaction score
Yes the shifter is working. The needle is just off by 1 spot. Thanks, I'll have to check out that gear to see if I can get it back in the right spot.

jngreen

Reaction score
Yes the shifter is working. The needle is just off by 1 spot. Thanks, I'll have to check out that gear to see if I can get it back in the right spot.

its usually those bolts under the dash that work loose, just like mentioned above. I think they take a torx bit. Tighten those things up and I bet it will all be good again, unless you have been adjusting things elsewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.