truck wont crank

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok guys, took my motor out and cleaned it up and resealed everything. Put a new starter in, pulled the glowplugs, and got new battery cables. I have the motor in and the front end is off until I can get it to crank so there isnt oil in the cylinders. Im stuck here. It'll grab and crank for a second then the starter just freewheels. There were no shims before and there arent now. What could it be?

Man I feel stupid considering ive pulled and installed a motor before.

Thanks!

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
It kinda sounds like the bending drive is dropping out but the motor is engaged allowing it to spin. Right? Can the drive gear back out while the motor is still energized?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im wondering if its not aligned quite right? Cody said his did that and he had to shim his.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wait, are you saying that wimpy ass electric motor will spin it over that fast? In that case, yes, im an idiot. No the plugs arent in it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok, first off, Andy, retitle.this to TyCorr is a dumba$$ thread. I hooked th charger up, had the wife come out, in yoga pants fwiw, and crank it while I watched the crankshaft pulley and its spunning :doh:. Yep I feel stupid. Sorry gents for wasting your time.

Big thanks to Cody!

Yep, I feel dense... :D

Wow! A new starter will whip a motor around with no glowplugs in it. I hope HRT doesnt see this.

ToMang07

Reaction score
90811910_4bd1985f37_z.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
Might have been the Irish coffee at 6am, the 20 miller lights, and sleep deprivation. Although it doesnt explain the past attempts.

Arisley

Reaction score
Ok, first off, Andy, retitle.this to TyCorr is a dumba$$ thread. I hooked th charger up, had the wife come out, in yoga pants fwiw, and crank it while I watched the crankshaft pulley and its spunning :doh:. Yep I feel stupid. Sorry gents for wasting your time.

Big thanks to Cody!

Yep, I feel dense... :D

Wow! A new starter will whip a motor around with no glowplugs in it. I hope HRT doesnt see this.

No problem, I might have thought the same thing.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It sounded like it was just spinning, in fact when I unbolted it and left the wires hooked up it sounded the same.

TyCorr

Reaction score
:doh:

Nothing ever seems like it should be simple. Im always looking for the most complicated fix. A good.reminder to start easy and work towards worst case.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
Don't feel dumb I have had this happen to me. Haha except On a cummins we thought starter was bad but jut the valves weren't adjusted and it was spinning over that fast.. Pretty impressive

Latest posts

Members online