Truck wont start stuck at gas station HELP!

bluedge8

Reaction score
have someone hold the key, and then jump the large terminal to the small one, if it cranks its not the starter

bluedge8

Reaction score
you have two wires on the starter, one heavy gauge from the battery, and one very small wire--- from the ignition key. the big cable should have power to it (unless there is a second relay) and when you take a screwdriver and touch the two terminals together you are bypassing the key and providing power from the big cable to the little one to engage the starter, if the starter cranks, it's not the starter and you have issues between the key and the starter.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Ah I tried that also last night. Te starter took a ****... new one from napa 216 bucks later . BTW the top bolt on these things are a pita. Kinda starting to miss my old sbc right about now..

bluedge8

Reaction score
Just. Takes finesse. I swapped around 4 of them between 2 trucks in one day trying to get chit running.

Bruno2

Reaction score
Something to look at when having this problem. I see a lot on OBS trucks. The positive cable gets a little loose on the solenoid and doesnt make good contact. This keeps the starter from getting a solid 12 volts and wont start. The solenoid makes the clicking noise just like a low battery causes. The positive cables on these things are huge and sometimes are a little difficult to deal with when re attaching them. Always look for a slightly loose cable anytime this happens before jumping into a new starter.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
When i had the starter checked out at napa it was no good. But those new napa starters are bad ass