Truck's acting weird.

CamTom12

Reaction score
When shifting from 5-6 with the OD locked within a certain low accelerator pedal position range my RP will drop (starts off around 13k, then drops to a lower value, like 4.9k or 6k or 9k), then pulsewidth will shoot to high values (anywhere from 1.1 to 2.2ms at ~1400rpm). Then it all stabilizes back to normal values. Timing is stable during these events. At higher APP values I don't think it happens since I don't notice the power surge but I don't have logs of that yet for evidence.

This is on a new HP fuel system, from the pump to the injectors. This issue started a few months after the new fuel system, so I don't think they're related but I could be wrong.

I first noticed this right before my truck randomly wouldn't start, then randomly started again and thought it was battery related, but it's still doing it on two batteries that tested good and hold charge. The batteries have been leaking fluid from the top (not a whole bunch, but they're not clean up there. Looks like someone spilled a 7up on the coffee table.) but like I said, hold charge and tested good on the machine at Ford.

I'm going to flash back to stock and reload the tune to see if that works but I was curious if anyone else has any other ideas.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Ok, so I flashed to stock and reloaded. It still exists.

Interesting side note, my truck will now hold 28k rail pressure. Before the new fuel system the highest I'd see would be a spike to 24k and then it'd drop off below 20k.

I don't know if this is normal, but it was something I noticed on a log file.

My next troubleshooting course of action will be to load back to stock and load a different tune from a different tuner to see if the problem follows or is eliminated.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Different tune, different tuner - problem goes away...

I might try a different tune from the first tuner next. I think I'll also call the tuner tomorrow.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
What tuner gives the issue and what tuner doesn't? The download may be getting corrupted. Some tuning devices are more susceptible to voltage drops than others. If your using a Spartan make sure you have a battery charger hooked up when downloading or changing tunes to make sure everything goes without error.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Eric,
One tuner is a Spartan, the other is an SCT with custom tunes. Both are loaded identically. The Spartan tunes run fine, but now I'm stuck back with an OD shift/TC lockup that I'm not happy with. Tomorrow I'm going to call the other tuner and see if it could be in his tunes and if he's got any updates.

On a side note, it's all the more reason I want to buy an H&S and do my own tuning via MCC. It kind of torques me to see guys driving up the price of those tuners for that specific software without even knowing what it is and fully intending to buy someone else's custom tunes written for that platform. MCC is the new "thing" so it must be good. Now the hardware platforms are so expensive it's almost cost prohibitive.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Eric,
One tuner is a Spartan, the other is an SCT with custom tunes. Both are loaded identically. The Spartan tunes run fine, but now I'm stuck back with an OD shift/TC lockup that I'm not happy with. Tomorrow I'm going to call the other tuner and see if it could be in his tunes and if he's got any updates.

On a side note, it's all the more reason I want to buy an H&S and do my own tuning via MCC. It kind of torques me to see guys driving up the price of those tuners for that specific software without even knowing what it is and fully intending to buy someone else's custom tunes written for that platform. MCC is the new "thing" so it must be good. Now the hardware platforms are so expensive it's almost cost prohibitive.

you think mcc is causing the price increase of h&s tuners? not supply and demand ?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it has six gears but 99% of the time it skips fourth gear. So the shift pattern would be 1-2, 2-3, 3-5 or something like that.

which actually means it acts as a 4 speed unless its really cold outside.

jugger13

Reaction score
Its based on temp of the tranny.
Its got to be real cold out like 30* and under I think.
When it cold it uses all 6 available ratios, vs skipping 4th like it does during warm shift strategy.
4 is 1.00 and 5th is 1.09 so its hard to even notice.
Iys pretty cool how it uses 2 clutches to make a gear.
Like 2nd is made with 1st low/reverse clutch, 3.xx ratio and overdrives clutches, .7x something not sure on the exact ratio.
to make up 2nd at 2.xx ratio.

Pretty sure when its warm it shifts 1-2, 2-3, 3-6.
tow haul runs 1-2, 2-3, 3-5, 5-6

And 4th only comes into play when its cold.
im no expert at all and am very possibly wrong on everything lol

That's just what I picked up when building my trans.

Last edited:

CamTom12

Reaction score
you think mcc is causing the price increase of h&s tuners? not supply and demand ?

Supply and demand is exactly the issue. There's a limited supply and a higher demand than the supply can fulfill.

In my opinion, which may be worth diddly, there's a high demand for the H&S tuners because MCC is a cool acronym that people think makes more power. In my opinion, if you want to buy a tune someone else wrote, buy an SCT and lower the demand on the H&S modules so I can afford one!

I cut my tuning teeth on HPTuners, so who knows if I could even figure out a 6.4's maps, but I imagine it'd be the same as I figured out the LSx series - one bite at a time.

Also, the 5R110 is a 6-speed trans. 4th gear is used only when trans fluid is cold (at or below 0*F iirc). Standard shift would go 1-2, 2-3, 3-5, 5-6. Cold shift would go 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-6. So it's a 5-speed 6-speed.

I think Kovalsky lined out the details in a post a while back.

Latest posts

Members online