Truetrac help

stacked6.7

Reaction score
Installed a Detroit truetrac a few weeks ago. Today I hauled a compact tractor on a goose neck and now it's clunking when I turn. The rear was fairly warm when I checked it. Has anyone else had issues hauling with a truetrac?

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Mine been in for about a month r so and have not experienced anything like u have described.I've beat on mine pretty good after the fist week are so.i have only good things to say about my trutrack so far (knock on wood).sounds like it may have been set up to tight.just guessing though.something may be broke hope not for your sake.if you can go back and check your set up.
sqrlgtr

stacked6.7

Reaction score
I'm going to check over everything soon. I'm running synthetic gear oil. Is that OK?. And what is the clearance for the backlash? Just want to make sure everything is correct.

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
A thought but do you need to use a additive for a clutch pack? If so did you add some?

I know limited slips need a additive to keep the clutch pack working properly.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
I don't think the Eaton truetracs have clutches. It only seems to bind when I'm turning from a stop. Especially at a slight grade.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
The tru-tracks dont have clutches and I'm pretty sure they recommend not useing syn.oil.I believe you can get specs off of thier web site..
sqrlgtr

ford_trck

Reaction score
I put mine in and ran cheap oil for break in purposes. I changed it about 3000 miles back to synthetic oil. About another 3000-5000 it STILL ran like a locker. After that it loosened up and acted like a limited slip.
I never had any loud noises or anything, but I never had the truck loaded during the break in, I just beat the crap out of my rear tires.

jcain

Reaction score
Per your install post "So I got my truetrac in today! So far very happy with it. Install went OK. I was told when I ordered it that my rear end would have adjusters to center the locker... But it had shims. Thankfully the factory ones worked. If I knew it had shims I would have got spares or ordered a master kit. But I also should have paid attention when I had the cover off the first time. But it works so no harm no foul. Just a heads up to anyone else that does this!" . That might be coming back to haunt you now...

nighthawk285

Reaction score
No additives are needed.....there's no reason for them since the TrueTrac uses gears to transfer the power, not clutches. Eaton does recommend not to use synthetic oil, just use conventional.

Did you set your backlash and preload correctly? Just re-using the stock shims may have not been good enough. I had assumed that you measured and had all of your specs correct but if that's not true then that could be part of what's causing your issue.

Highroller54

Reaction score
I would be pretty amazed if all you did was smashed it back together with the original shims and it was bang on lol.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
Well I talked to Eaton today. And he explained that because I used the factory ring and pinion I should have matched the factory lash. Not realizing that I just made sure it was between 6-10 thousands like I had read. So I ordered a shim kit for 25$ and I'm just going to loosen it up a hair. Just to be clear I had zero issues driving empty. Rear end never got hot at all. Just when towing the other day for 6hrs and 13K behind the truck did it get hot and act up. But today when I drove it there was no issues.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
So I installed the shim kit yesterday. My lash was at .007 and after the shims were in I set it to .010. Using the shim kit also made install much smoother. I lost about .002 on each side because that the closest I could get the shims to the factory ones, and I'm happy with how it went in. A snug fit, but not near as hard as when I used the factory's. Which may have been part of the problem before. I also took the locker apart and found no damage. But after reassembly I hooked to a small trailer loaded with my zero turn and I think it's still binding a little.

stacked6.7

Reaction score
Still synthetic. The guy from Eaton said it should be fine. But I see the manual doesn't recommend it

Latest posts

Members online