TS Chip caution!!!!

Big Bore

Reaction score
Hey, I've done every chip the same way. This is the first I have had this problem. just letting everyone know. It might cost you another chip AND a PCM.

Duly noted and I have a roll of black duct tape sitting right here that I'm going to make use of as soon as snow and wind stop. I just mentioned my personal experience as an anecdote. I have no desire to replace my PCM and chip again, BTDT when I pulled chip with key on troubleshooting my dead truck on side of road.

Marty

Reaction score
Ts said if you just put the cover back on like youre supposed to you wont have this issue.

Spongebob aka Richard...... Did we clean your pcm or didnt you already have a chip in there?

Last edited:

spongebob915

Reaction score
Rich Allen
Think I"m going to send my pcm to swamps to have them solder the pcm to help build it up for a tighter fit. Unless that is some you have done . I can stop by your place and we can try that to see if it works. I really think that's the problem with all that copper showing.

Last edited:

spongebob915

Reaction score
I do not know if you cleaned it or not . It was a long day so I forget . I"m guessing it was like that in the beginning. Maybe from removing the old chip and installing the new it was enough to mess it up .. Who knows .

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I installed a chip in my dads truck and my uncles truck.... both of the chips feel very lose and both are taped in.

My uncles works perfectly fine with tape but for the last 3 weeks ive been battling my dads trying to get it to make a secure connection. I do have big sqaure holes cut in that cover though for easy removal.
that is bull**** in my opinion, they work fine in the OBS trucks without a "PCM box" to hold them in

Tom S

Reaction score
I'm still having that problem after you did work on my truck . It does the same thing. In the morning it seems to always start. But after driving it for a bit when I try starting it I notice the wait to start engine light goes out and the check engine light stays on . Most the time to fix it I switch to a different tune and switch back or turn the key on and off a few times. After your post I finally decided to pull out the pcm . I think I see my problem it was cleaned maybe too much down to the copper .. I think it was already like that. By changing my chip to the new one maybe it was enough to mess up the connection that it did have . I have also had my truck stall while trying down the road just from switching to a different tune. Not fun when your doing 55 on the highway.

20120228_091851.jpg

You definately need that to be re-tinned. I bet any of the tuners are really good that that from fixing issues. I have done it before but am not as good as someone that has done dozens.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I installed a chip in my dads truck and my uncles truck.... both of the chips feel very lose and both are taped in.

My uncles works perfectly fine with tape but for the last 3 weeks ive been battling my dads trying to get it to make a secure connection. I do have big sqaure holes cut in that cover though for easy removal.
that is bull**** in my opinion, they work fine in the OBS trucks without a "PCM box" to hold them in

It's because the SD board is thinner than the OBS, so the chip will hold better on an OBS than the SD b/c of the thicker board. I don't have tape holding the chip on my OBS or on my '94 F-150.. Both chips fit the edge connect pretty snug.

onebad7.3

Reaction score
You can see some copper on mine, but the chip fits pretty snug. Once in a while my truck won't start on the first try, I have to cycle the key again, then it starts right up. Anyone think thats from too much copper showing?

Charles

Reaction score
Maybe my old DPC421 PCM's have a thicker board or something, but on my 550 and my truck, it takes considerable force to push the chip home, and considerable force AND wiggling back and forth at the same time to remove it from the PCM board once installed.

If I had a fish scale I could check it and probably shock some people.

I usually take off the slimy looking crap from the PCB until I think I have it all off the contacts and try the chip. If it doesn't work, I rub a little more off until it works. Absolutely none more than required to get contact. In my experience this makes the chip fit VERY tightly.

Maybe something else is 4 position vs 6. I've never run a 6 position.

Charles

Reaction score
I took a DPC421 pcm and a TS chip, pushed the chip onto the board a little so it was good and square and the only scale I had was a postage scale and it maxed over 16oz of force and that wasn't even close.

To remove it takes even more. To pull the chip off I have to squeeze the edges of the chip so hard that it puts deep depressions in my fingers and my thumb and index both have bright red lines where the chip was.

In other words.... obviously there's a big time difference between what I've experienced with my 4 position and the DPC421 and what some of you have described. Two different worlds.

This chip simply isn't coming off. Period.

Charles

Reaction score
This DPC421 PCB measures ~0.050" thick at the J3 port. Any of you with a loose chip want to measure the PCB to see if that is the problem?

Big Bore

Reaction score
To pull the chip off I have to squeeze the edges of the chip so hard that it puts deep depressions in my fingers and my thumb and index both have bright red lines where the chip was.

In other words.... obviously there's a big time difference between what I've experienced with my 4 position and the DPC421 and what some of you have described. Two different worlds.

This chip simply isn't coming off. Period.

Just went out and pulled the 6 pos from my DPC-422. Same thing, wiggle back and forth and depressions in my work hardened hands. It was fully seated and its been to northern WY (30 min from MT) and back (1200mi round trip) twice since the last time Curtis reburned it, and both my WY jobs and my home are on rough dirt roads.

Charles

Reaction score
Not having a fish scale, I took a piece of thin wire and ran it through the chip in the little gap between the PCB and the connector alongside the spacer piece already present and supported the entire PCM by the chip...

I had to spring up on the wire a number of times with the PCM flopping around being held entirely by the chip alone before it finally came loose.

Given the miniscule weight of the chip, with the kind of fit I'm talking about, it's simply never going to be a practical concern.

Something is apparently very different for others.

Last edited:

spongebob915

Reaction score
Do you have any copper showing like in my pic? And if you rub your finger across were it hooks to your pcm you should feel little humps were the solder is . Mine is completely flat .

Charles

Reaction score
Do you have any copper showing like in my pic? And if you rub your finger across were it hooks to your pcm you should feel little humps were the solder is . Mine is completely flat .

This one has trace amounts of copper barely showing on the edges of some of them.

Running your finger along the board you distinctly feel each one.

Latest posts

Members online