TS Chip problems

spencer922

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a custom burned chip that was tuned by PHP performance two years ago. The truck is a bone stock OBS, nothing too exciting.

The chip worked very well until recently I pulled the switch, brass nut and two clips off to install it within the dash of the truck. (Finally got around to it, go figure).

Now, the truck does not seem to change tunes, nor does it seem as if any of the tunes are working. I know this because I can hear the timing change in one the race tune, as well as having a high-idle tune.

Truck seems to run well enough. The GP light comes on like normal which seems to rule out a bad ECU. My only thought is that somehow it messed with the connection at the ECU. Does this seem like a correct diagnosis?

OBS73

Reaction score
I had the same problem...chip working then not, thought it was the chip. Turned out my PCM was messed up, once I changed it everything worked fine. My GP came on like normal too.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
My suspicion is that your switch died. I had the exact same thing happen to me a year or so ago.
Call TS and tell them what's going on. In my case they replaced the switch for free.

Vengeance

Reaction score
If you turn the switch to the 1st position, all the way counterclockwise, how many clicks to the right can you turn it.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
You probably tightened it down to hard when you mounted it. I know because I did the same thing the first time I mounted a switch. If you take it back out, fold the wires right where they come out of the switch and with your thumb on the knob side (just below the knob on the housing) and index finger on the wires squeeze them together hard. I had to do that to get it to make a connection inside to switch between tunes until I got a new one.

spencer922

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

Tomorrow I will check the connection to the ECU, I didn't have time over the weekend.

I hope I didn't break anything but wouldn't count on it. What symptoms would signify a bad PCM?

The chip turns seven times now (this seems questionable). Before mounting the switch, I had six spots. I tried to move the plate to the 5 location to reduce the number of tunes (one was redundant).

When I mounted it I didn't use a washer on the outside of the dash, mostly because I couldn't find a washer that fit in the garage. This may have allowed me to tighten it too far. I'll mess with this tomorrow as well.

Vengeance

Reaction score
You have the switch messed up from mounting it. What you need to do is remove the knob, take the little keeper washer off, turn the switch all the way counterclockwise, put the keeper back in the number 6 hole and tighten it up. Should take care of it.

Latest posts

Members online