Tune = 15-20% drop in fuel mileage

Fordguy100

Reaction score
SRL Tune, its a fun tune no doubt. But, this last tank I have driven it roughly the same as before. Now the Ex is getting city driven a lot lately, the last few fill ups (pre-tune) were in the 13.5-14mpg range. Todays fillup was 11.7mpg.

Lots of stop and go, but the same style driving in the same setting.

If I was driving to enjoy the new found power, this would be acceptable...but I'm driving the same! I will give it another one or two fills to see what it does, maybe I am hotrodding it more than normal.

Tommorow will be a 250mile 75mph drive. The last trip (pre-tune) fetched 18.7mpg. Cruising boost is pretty high (70mph today was 6-7psi on flat ground).

Anybody else see a dramatic drop in MPG with tunes (besides from playing around with the power!)

alwil

Reaction score
SRL Tune, its a fun tune no doubt. But, this last tank I have driven it roughly the same as before. Now the Ex is getting city driven a lot lately, the last few fill ups (pre-tune) were in the 13.5-14mpg range. Todays fillup was 11.7mpg.

Lots of stop and go, but the same style driving in the same setting.

If I was driving to enjoy the new found power, this would be acceptable...but I'm driving the same! I will give it another one or two fills to see what it does, maybe I am hotrodding it more than normal.

Tommorow will be a 250mile 75mph drive. The last trip (pre-tune) fetched 18.7mpg. Cruising boost is pretty high (70mph today was 6-7psi on flat ground).

Anybody else see a dramatic drop in MPG with tunes (besides from playing around with the power!)

You got 18.7 MPG in a stock tuned EX?
My ECLB with tuning only got 18 if there was no wind at all.....ever, otherwise I was seeing 10+ psi and 15-16 MPG on the highway.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Maybe it is just me. But I am always driving like a grandpa to save fuel, so it kinda sucked to see it so low. Love the tune though!

And yup, saw 18.7mpg. Lie o meter was reading around 21mpg, it's consistently off about 10% though (today it was at 13mpg for average of the tank).

Maybe I need to convince the wife it needs injectors and studs to help FE!

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
my dually got about 15 on the highway with stock parts and about 10 in town but I damn sure didn't let any grass grow under the tires

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Last tank was 18.4mpg. 525miles of 75mph highway, the rest 60/40 city/secondary roads. If I would have filled up after the highway alone I'm pretty confident it would be 19ish mpg.

One thing I think I forgot was I didn't have the replacement front bumper last time we drove up there. So with that in mind I would say we are at or slightly ahead of where we were.

This tank will be all city driving again so we will see how it goes.

Cold Roller

Reaction score
I just did 200 miles into a 20 mph wind, empty at 70mph with about 50 minutes of stop and go through the city. The fuel consumption was 17.9mpg. This is a ccsb with 186/75s and a durastroke with a medium perf tune. The tune is not optimized for the nozzles.

DSTRYER

Reaction score
Wish mine would get that!!! what tunes/programmers y'all runnin, I may need to invest!!!:popcorn:

Cold Roller

Reaction score
I put on the canned SCT perf tune for this run. I was curious to see what it would give me. It ran slightly warmer EGT (30*) than the extreme tune due to vane position (boost) and retarded injection. But I can't complain based on the result. Lately I have been running Wildman's extreme or an old Spartan tune.

FWIW - my 2 cents - most of the tuners don't know how to build a tune for cold weather running. I found that the injection would be way too advanced until the outside air temp got above 20*. No one needs 14*BTDC on a cold engine and 0* or colder at start-up. Often, the truck would start and quit on the first try after a few seconds of running. If you had a mild or no tune on (injection at 2*ATDC - 6*BTDC), it would fire up cold every time and have consistent injection timing while driving. With the high HP tunes I would see anywhere from 4* BTDC to 11*BTDC at the same speed and location, the only difference being outside air temperature. For you guys living in the mid to southern states, this isn't even an issue. Where do most of the tuners live...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.