Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

Charles

Reaction score
I plan to up my VOP from mid 2000's to a B code VOP anyway. I have a sneaking suspicion that my idle haze might be in large part due to my extremely low VOP setting that was a carryover from an earlier time when fuel/time was my most important goal. Now that injector speed is a plenty, I'm interested in upping the VOP with a B code set and seeing my memory is accurate on what I found many years ago when doing so. Swapping P&B's is moot at that point. I don't need a gauge anyway.... it is dropping pressure. As many fuel pumps as I've had fall down on me, insufficient filter flow rates and the like when running higher power setups on my other truck I can tell, it's laying down in the fuel delivery up top. The light missing after a long pull is another clear indicator. Not enough that anyone in the truck riding would likely notice, but anyone in tune with a 7.3 would notice it right off. Little bit ragged due to a bit of air getting in the rails on a pull. This has been going on for at least a couple years now, so it's not a current event in any case. Just figured I'd toss out the fact that aside from all the other stock engine systems, the stock pump seems to be a bit overwhelmed by the 3/2's even when tuned for a PMR.

If time ever permits I'll dyno the thing. It's somewhere between 3 and 5, lol.

superpsd

Reaction score
The higher VOP Is probably why a few have Stated that they choose B codes over Hybrids for a daily driven street truck. I can't complain my 200% are pretty clean with the B codes VOP. My streetable tune is pretty much dialed in. I have been mostly just adjusting SOI to improve drivability, spool time, and reduce smoke.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Has any one successfully converted any of the files Charles has posted in here to 256 kb ? Having trouble using php's binary converter, and minotaur says it's the wrong size when I try to load it.

Thanks in advance

ja_cain

Reaction score
Has any one successfully converted any of the files Charles has posted in here to 256 kb ? Having trouble using php's binary converter, and minotaur says it's the wrong size when I try to load it.

Thanks in advance

You just need to bring that bad boy up here and swap it into my truck. Then you will have no problem using Charles files. Lol! What is your PCM code? If I have a decent day tomorrow I'll try to call around for you and figure it out.

Not sure how easy it is to swap the 2002 or later PCM's into an older truck and then just use a PCS for the trans. If it's possible then you could use his files without trying to convert them.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
You just need to bring that bad boy up here and swap it into my truck. Then you will have no problem using Charles files. Lol! What is your PCM code? If I have a decent day tomorrow I'll try to call around for you and figure it out.

Not sure how easy it is to swap the 2002 or later PCM's into an older truck and then just use a PCS for the trans. If it's possible then you could use his files without trying to convert them.

I have an 02 as well , auto vdh4. I planned on a pcs eventually also , since the trans tuning through minotaur seems rather confusing.

I really just want to see the timing tables he concocted. It's something I'm real hesitant to mess with since it can get ugly quick if I screwed it up.

I have made alot of progress in the month or so since I bought minotaur, but I'd like to get it a little more responsive under 2k while keeping smoke in check. With a smaller turb I'd have been golden already, but this 72 wants some extra revs before she starts singing.

Maybe I just need too add a turbo...

superpsd

Reaction score
I mess with the SOI maps all the time. Just remember too much advance will lead to increased cylinder pressure. Too much timing advance creates a lot more noise due to increased CP. Response is snappy feels like a Built Big Block cracking open a 1000cfm carb. However due to lower EGTs the turbo does not spool up good or at all. Pull timing and response is more linear as the heat pours into the turbine kicking the turbo up and the diesel knock is much quieter. I actually took the factory SOI table and made small changes at a time and took it for a spin. If I was headed in the right direction power came on good and linear with low smoke output. You can also adjust all points on the SOI map by adjusting global timing plus or minus. With my setup if timing is was too retarded EGTS will be much higher and gray haze out the pipe when flogged on.

Last edited:

DieselJpower

Reaction score
I mess with the SOI maps all the time. Just remember too much advance will lead to increased cylinder pressure. Too. Much timing advance creates a lot more noise due to increased CP. Response is snappy feels like a Built Big Block cracking open a 1000cfm carb. However due to lower EGTs the turbo does not spool up good or at all. Pull timing response is more linear as the heat pours into the turbine kicking the turbo up and the diesel knock is much quieter.

Ya I was going to say I thought I'd seem you say that your 369 lit quicker when you pulled some timing. Now did that create more smoke you had to then tune out as well or no ?

superpsd

Reaction score
My setup has been pretty detrated. My daily file is 1.7MS @ 3K ICP and left my PW multiplier map alone from the factory calibratiion on my setup. Again every setup is different. I finally installed an electric fuel pump so I will be tweeking another file. I still could probably refine my SOI map further but it feels good on the street and smoke output is pretty low. I had more smoke with a stock truck with canned PHP tunes then I do now. I ran a file with 2.3MS but the mechanical fuel pump could not keep up as pressure was low and smokey. Did pull hard though.

Last edited:

DieselJpower

Reaction score
I've gotten rid of so much smoke compared to the tunes that were sent to me. Why do people call for 4+ ms of pw on a 200% nozzle ?? No wonder my egt gauge loved to bury itself !

You ever have any issues with excessive icp with that Sr ? I got a gen3 overy a jr and I dropped icp desired to 2800 trying to keep it in check but it will still hit 32-3300 easy.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
I have no problem hitting the target, it's going well above is the issue. When I called for like 2950 it would hit almost 3500. Seems like the opposite issue of what most 7.3 guys experience

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
My setup has been pretty detrated. My daily file is 1.7MS

I had to chuckle at this a little bit. I know its a completely different platform and all... but my Dmax makes 630rwhp through 37x13.50 Toyos with 1.7ms of fuel. It just goes to show how much more efficient the higher injection pressure and improved control of a common rail injection system is.

Sorry to derail a little bit. I just like to keep things in perspective, knowing other systems and their capabilities help port ideas back sometimes.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
I had to chuckle at this a little bit. I know its a completely different platform and all... but my Dmax makes 630rwhp through 37x13.50 Toyos with 1.7ms of fuel. It just goes to show how much more efficient the higher injection pressure and improved control of a common rail injection system is.

Sorry to derail a little bit. I just like to keep things in perspective, knowing other systems and their capabilities help port ideas back sometimes.

Seems like tuning would be significantly easier on a non hydraulically run system too. Less variables right ?

Latest posts

Members online