Tuning differences going from stock turbo to 38r

jaybuller

Reaction score
Got a question for y'all tuning wavy folks on here. Would it be worth the 25 dollars per tune to have my tunes rewritten when I through the 38r on? Or is there even a difference? I mean do tuners take the turbo into consideration when writing tunes for such small injectors as I have? (160/30) I would think they pretty much have them maxed out anyway even with a stock turbo. But I've been wrong before....

thuglike

Reaction score
Got a question for y'all tuning wavy folks on here. Would it be worth the 25 dollars per tune to have my tunes rewritten when I through the 38r on? Or is there even a difference? I mean do tuners take the turbo into consideration when writing tunes for such small injectors as I have? (160/30) I would think they pretty much have them maxed out anyway even with a stock turbo. But I've been wrong before....

You may want the fuel maps tweeked as the 38r spools faster and has more potential up top.

So you could have fuel pulled down low and added up top to take advantage of it.

We saw real interesting things on the dyno with 160's and a 38r.
It may be worth the time and $ to get tweeks.

thuglike

Reaction score
Going from a stocker to 38r and 1 tweek netted 35hp.

After all was said and done we got 58hp out of the switch...live tuned

jaybuller

Reaction score
Jason where are you guys out of for live tuning? If not more than a days drive away I may have to come see y'all for a live tuning session...... Once I get the 38r all ready to roll.

thuglike

Reaction score
Chattanooga TN is where the shop is. If you can get at least 5 guys that want live tuning in your area..we will come to you.

bigfords

Reaction score

I too was thinking about starting a thread like this....I'm in the same boat. I've got 238/100s and a stock turbo. Maybe Matt will chime in...but I asked him this a while back, and he said it would not be necessary to get my tunes re-written if I put a 38R on in the future. Maybe he will chime in and explain some more of the details, as I would like to know and learn how this works. I am may be close to 400 HP now, and then I ought to be close to 500 HP after I get a 38R and supporting mods...all on the same tune?

Gearhead

Reaction score
I too was thinking about starting a thread like this....I'm in the same boat. I've got 238/100s and a stock turbo. Maybe Matt will chime in...but I asked him this a while back, and he said it would not be necessary to get my tunes re-written if I put a 38R on in the future. Maybe he will chime in and explain some more of the details, as I would like to know and learn how this works. I am may be close to 400 HP now, and then I ought to be close to 500 HP after I get a 38R and supporting mods...all on the same tune?

I use the map sensor so it will fuel accordingly. And the number 6 tune is pretty much maxed out on fuel so the extra air will make more power.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jaybuller

Reaction score
i was gonna just ask if you use the map sensor for fueling what does it do once it hits the map sensors high end range? does it default to max fueling? I am running your tunes right now Matt and i like the way the turbo lights with them. just a puff of smoke then spooool! it is a little smoke up top but im sure the 38r would clean most of that up.

Gearhead

Reaction score
On the superduties I have a bigger map that handles 35 psi vs the 25 the factory sensor does, this is a $100 option and includes the sensor. I am waiting on Bill to get me an updated template for the manual trucks but the autos I have ready to go. It isn't a huge difference in smoke, just slightly cleaner with the 238 and bigger injectors when you jump on it from a dead stop.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.