Tuning my Bros 99 HELP

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
alright my brother has a build date of 11/98 i am asuming it is an early but just curious well anyway he has been wanting a tuner and its time he has a PCM code of XLE4 -good/bad?? but my dad has an 01 with a code of PMT1. i know with the earlier PCM, its harder to tune and dont have control over as much things as a later one buti was curous all my dad does it drive it to work and on the farm if we could swap them to benifit my brothers truck or if his is alright to get tuned let me know!!

Thanks Zach

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I ran the xle4 with dp tunes for a while. I liked them but didn't like how loud they were and how the hids would kill the truck.

I have since then switched to swamps tunes and a dpc422 pcm and I Love it runs and shifts now. Even though I feel like my dp tunes ran a lot harder. Well worth the swap imo. Any good tuner on here cam tune the xle4 pcm and put a pmt1 shift strategy on the chip. Just pick the tuner you want and hell set you up.

moose99psd

Reaction score
I ran the xle4 with dp tunes for a while. I liked them but didn't like how loud they were and how the hids would kill the truck.

I have since then switched to swamps tunes and a dpc422 pcm and I Love it runs and shifts now. Even though I feel like my dp tunes ran a lot harder. Well worth the swap imo. Any good tuner on here cam tune the xle4 pcm and put a pmt1 shift strategy on the chip. Just pick the tuner you want and hell set you up.

part of your problem with shifting was the computer itself, its a garbage computer IMO i swapped to a pmt1 and now im running an nvk computer. but i ran nvk with dp and swamps now. pretty much any family from late 99on is a step in the right direction as far as tuning and driveability is concerned.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
part of your problem with shifting was the computer itself, its a garbage computer IMO i swapped to a pmt1 and now im running an nvk computer. but i ran nvk with dp and swamps now. pretty much any family from late 99on is a step in the right direction as far as tuning and driveability is concerned.

99.5-2001 will direct swap.... 2002 and 2003 will cause all kinds of issues.

Detox

Reaction score
I went from XLE4 on my early 99 to PMT2 big difference shifts alot better

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
When I swapped to an auto trans iwe put the 01 pcm and harness on.

Bad idea.. Odd though the pcm in my truck is a vdh2 I believe and its an 02. What's the difference between the vdh and nvk ?

Big Bore

Reaction score
When I swapped to an auto trans iwe put the 01 pcm and harness on.

Bad idea.. Odd though the pcm in my truck is a vdh2 I believe and its an 02. What's the difference between the vdh and nvk ?

If you go here and open the pdf it gives you some info about the computer and the year used. VDH is a different family than NVK. NVK is the DPC-422 family same as PMT. VDH is DPC-462 family. This pdf is very helpful when looking for a spare/replacement computer because as long as its the same family it will work.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=119371#post119371
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34810

Last edited by a moderator:

Detox

Reaction score
PMT 1 or PMT 2 PCM's will also turn his cruise light on for his early 99

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
ok he is back looking lol he wants no changes just a chip i bought him guages and he wants more just his DD farm truck who do i give a call about tuning the thing?? cause i know some wont

Latest posts

Members online