Tunning or big tires?

smokedout250

Reaction score
So after swapping to non Vgt on my truck, it lugs really hard in od. The transmission doesn't like to down shift unless the throttle is basically on the floor. Gearhead is doing my tunning, and when I had the powermax this issue wasn't there. the truck is on 35s which puts my rpms I'm 1600 range.,.. So under acceleration it becomes smokey and and gets hot, due to not spooling the turbo.... So this makes in town driving a pain because it's either wot or smokey... So my real question is, can tunning adjust this? Or am I at the point of going down a tire size or regearing the truck?

Mods 205/150 s366 turbo Gearhead tunning... 2.5" level kit and 35s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Can you adjust the throttle % in correation to speed at which it shifts down. Seems like a very sensitive down shift is what these non VGTs need to run correctly, especially the larger ones.

Or possibly have him pull fuel at lower boost levels? This may not make it much fun to drive though. Matt is already great at adjusting fueling according to MAP, but being extra sensitive with it may help as well.

We are going to have Bill or Tony out here in early February doing a bunch of live tuning and also have a dyno on site. So if you get your setup dialed in by then, one of them may be able to help you quite a bit on the tuning end.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Weird my truck is smoke free woth matts tuning and 33s with 225/100 and a 66. Whose injectors? Ps have him lock out overdrive in tow/haul and you can make it downshift and shift into over drive whenever you want

Hellen Keller sent this?

smokedout250

Reaction score
Matt's got the tuning down really well actually. It's running really clean now that I'm running his full fuel tune. The 366 spools great. It's just 5th gear where it lugs down. Seems like I get to far under the turbo. I just wasn't sure if the larger tires where dropping my rpms enough to put it in the range where my turbo isn't having a chance to light. I will have to talk to him about a 4th gear lock out and see if he can change the responsiveness on the down shift some. If I can get the truck to down shift around 45mph in tow haul it will pull like a train and run clean. But if I can't get the down shift it's a smokey pig. As for injectors they are warrens. I would love some more live tuning but I'm gonna hold off for a while. No reason to dump a ton of money on tuning yet. I'm going to wait and try to setup compounds on the truck first and go to a smaller nozzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online