Turbo decisions need some opinions

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Currently running a s480 on the truck, wanting to try a different turbo setup and see how it would work out. The s480 makes good power but I'm always looking for some way to improve the truck. Currently looking at gtx4508r, gtx4202r or a gt4508r as a replacement to help spool up some and kl maybe keep up top power. I've also been thinking about dropping back to my s475 or possibly do a s467/s595 compound setup. Really wanting to stay with a single for ease but wanting to move to a little bit better all around turbo, the s480 is just a pain to get spooled sometimes. What is everyone's thoughts about turbo selection, I'm just tossing out my options and want feedback on what people think

Forgot to mention the truck has 400/400s and nitrous will make up the big end of the airflow at the track

Last edited:

V-Ref

Reaction score
Higher stall convertor? Headers? Cam? Head work? Air to Water IC? Anything you can do to increase volumetric efficiency will assist in the ability to run the largest single better....you might ring some turbo shops and see if there's a lighter wheel available for your S480....the lower the rotational inertia the better your spool will be all other factors equal

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
It's getting a higher stall converter, cam, air to water is a possibility and already has headers. Just trying yo see if anyone has any comparison. The cummins guys all favor the gtx turbos over bw for spooling.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.