Turbo failure signs

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
May just be me but seems like my turbo has a lot louder whine to it then it used to.I have been running the old girl pretty hard lately since my hpop upgrade.can some of you guys tell me what signs I need to look for in a failing turbo
sqrlgtr

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Crickets......
Surely I've not stumped this crowd with said question??

MossBack

Reaction score
the best way to check is to pull the intake hose off and check the play of the turbo. Any in and out play means the turbo is shot. For me I could hear the impeller touching the housing. Another thing I had noticed was it would build boost to 5psi and kind of hold then kind of snap like and build 25+. It wasn't smooth and I had found the turbo was the cause. Newer turbo and it was back to a smooth even building boost even under WOT. Hope that helps.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Mossback,yes that helps alot will check for play.still runs great but seems to be somewhat louder,but I am getting older and don't hear as good anymore.any suggestions on turbo ifn I decided to upgrade.from what I gather may as well go t4 all the way or stay stock keep in mind this is an early 99 (limited options).can't seem to find any good reviews on d66,brute66's.idk..

MossBack

Reaction score
I have done the D66 route before and the problem was that it is still a stock turbo with journal bearings. The stock turbo can handle a lot of fuel before it becomes a limiting factor. I always say that a stock super duty with some stage 1 injectors and tunes is about the best all around setup. It should put you around 350-375hp to the ground. I am not sure if the 38R drops in to the E99 but for the money it is the best. I think KC turbo is working on something for the stockish upgrades. Ultimately the T4 gives you the most flexibility on turbo.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
From what I've read the 66's is about all that will (drop in)on the early 99.if my stocker still feels pretty tight probally want worry about it..would like to run across a good deal on a whole t4 set up through..Thanks for the help..

Arisley

Reaction score
Yep. Early 99, unless you convert to 99.5 to go with a 38R, you are pretty much stuck with D66.

If you can find donor parts for cheap, you will need plenums, Y, pedestal, up pipes (I recommend bellowed), baby's butt and all the hoses, It is just as cheap to skip to a T4 and open up a million options.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Yep. Early 99, unless you convert to 99.5 to go with a 38R, you are pretty much stuck with D66.

If you can find donor parts for cheap, you will need plenums, Y, pedestal, up pipes (I recommend bellowed), baby's butt and all the hoses, It is just as cheap to skip to a T4 and open up a million options.
Yeah I've bout come to that conclusion myself.looking at your sig I assume you've been down this road before..Thanks for the input..

Arisley

Reaction score
Oh yeah, there is actually nothing left on my truck that is early 99 except the fender badges.

I went H2E rather than T4.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably go T4.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
10-4 on the t4,and I think thems the best looking fender badges.been looking around on interweb for prices on complete kits most are a little over 3 grand for everything.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I always say that a stock super duty with some stage 1 injectors and tunes is about the best all around setup. It should put you around 350-375hp to the ground. I am not sure if the 38R drops in to the E99 but for the money it is the best. I think KC turbo is working on something for the stockish upgrades. Ultimately the T4 gives you the most flexibility on turbo.
a 7.3 that is.. lol

but i agree 100%.. get ahold of kc turbos.. if it is available, its a drop in duall bb rebuildable turbo..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
a 7.3 that is.. lol

but i agree 100%.. get ahold of kc turbos.. if it is available, its a drop in duall bb rebuildable turbo..

live life full throttle

Can someone tell me more about this turbo?is it a true drop in for my early 99?and where can I find some info.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Can someone tell me more about this turbo?is it a true drop in for my early 99?and where can I find some info.
kc turbos is a sponsor here.. go to the vendor section and look them up.. should have threads on it.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online