Turbo Fart

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
I finally got my boost leak fixed(can now maintain 24 psi boost), but my truck doesn't turbo fart? Is this normal or do I probably have another leak somewhere? A friend says all the 6.0's he has heard or owned all do it, and doesn't understand why mine doesn't. Truck is 03 6.0, 4 in turbo back exhaust, SCT with Gearhead SRL tune.

CCRICE

Reaction score
I know Matt turns the boost down a little in his srl tunes for tty bolt reasons. Mine did it with rcd's tunes but I haven't experienced it with gearheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokedout250

Reaction score
On my standard srl I had no turbo fart. But on my srl x tune it does it all the time... Kinda concerns me... I saw 25psi for boost as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
So nothing to worry about? FWIW, my truck has never done it, but there is no telling how long that intercooler boot was leaking either. Also, my buddy says his dad's 05(maybe 06) does it, and another friend of our has an 03 6.0 with studs running canned SCT tunes and his does it also.

weazel

Reaction score
Mine does sometimes and not others, I don't think you need to worry, if it makes boost and holds it your fine

Translated from hillbilly, with tapatalk
Engineers clear the way!

CCRICE

Reaction score
Pretty good description I found.

When you get on it hard, drive pressure comes up and boost comes up. Then you let off and the engine drops RPM, there's no more demand for all that air. The boost tries to go back out the turbo, but the drive pressure (usually higher, and thus stronger) still needs to escape. The barking sound you hear is the turbo speeding up and slowing down as air tries to spin the compressor and turbine in opposite directions, trying to find an equalized pressure. This is hardest on the turbo shaft and thrust bearings.(You can actually snap the turbo shaft when the turbo does this).

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Pretty good description I found.

When you get on it hard, drive pressure comes up and boost comes up. Then you let off and the engine drops RPM, there's no more demand for all that air. The boost tries to go back out the turbo, but the drive pressure (usually higher, and thus stronger) still needs to escape. The barking sound you hear is the turbo speeding up and slowing down as air tries to spin the compressor and turbine in opposite directions, trying to find an equalized pressure. This is hardest on the turbo shaft and thrust bearings.(You can actually snap the turbo shaft when the turbo does this).

So does is a VGT supposed to prevent this?

CCRICE

Reaction score
I'm still running stock turbo in my 07 and like i said with rcd tunes if i wasnt careful it would do it, but with gearheads i have yet to experience it. Like said ablove if it's not happening you have nothing to worry about.

jdc753

Reaction score
As you saw turbo fart or barking is no good, not something you want to happen. My truck will do it when stone cold and I chop out of the throttle, or say sled pulling where you are all out high load and everything and then just all of a sudden cut out. So under normal driving conditions it definitely should be happening as you will be shortening the life of your turbo.

So does is a VGT supposed to prevent this?

No, a blow off valve would prevent it.

A VGT essentially changes the AR ratio to allow the turbo to spool like a tight housing but they flow like a big housing.

Latest posts

Members online