Turbo gone...again?

BK39

Reaction score
Turbo does not spool up right. Last time it did this, ford said it was the turbo and they "rebuilt" it (70,xxx miles). I'll have to dig up paper work for exact/mechanical term to see if they elaborated on it. Here is what it is doing again, truck is a 2005 6.0 2wd ECLB (my work truck). 102,xxx miles

First start in the morning. Turbo does not move at idle, no whistle, no hum, no nothing, I get about 10mph before it comes alive. Vanes sticking? That's minor compared to, Enter the freeway, hold it to the floor, it boost just fine. Let off the throttle when moving at freeway speed 70mph, step on it again to get over another lane, and only motor, turbo waits 2 to 3 seconds before it comes alive again, then boosts hard. During this dead spot, motor has really deep tone/sound to it.

So is the turbo shot? I don't want to have ford "rebuild it" again, if it's only gonna last another 30k. I'd like to fix it, and be done with it. If it's the turbo, is the Garrett PowerMax the best replacement turbo?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Do it yourself. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-05.php

The powermax is a good stock replacement for sure though, if you opt to go that route.

Is the EGR valve still in this truck? Might want to yank that and clean it. You should also consider removing the EBP sensor and tube and clean both of those as well. They are located on the drivers side exhaust manifold. You'll see the tube coming out near the front cylinder, and the sensor attached to it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.