Turbo lag, excessive smoke...

Bigshow

Reaction score
My truck (08 6.4 KEM tuned, deleted, and CAI) has recently started doing something strange. When driving along and you go to accelerate mildly, it seems like my turbo is lagging. The fuel is there, a bit much smoke, then things spool up.
I replaced my MAP and EBP sensors but that didnt change anything / air filter is clean / no DTC's - any ideas of where to look next?

Motostroker

Reaction score
Turbo actuator? Check the vgt duty cycle. Should be around 5-7% at idle then 97-100% under WOT

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Its the other way around

Idle should be 95% and wot should be 7%

The actuator should throw a p2563 code I think.

Check back pressure key on engine off

Also look at your uppipes and make sure they are not split at the bellow

chadc

Reaction score
Was the ebp full of soot? Mine does this a lot, the tube that the ebp sensor goes on gets full of soot too, so it could make the sensor still not work

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bigshow

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The EBP sensor came with a new tube - there was some soot in the old tube and sensor. I had cleaned it once this winter after some cold weather extended idling threw a code (cant recall the number).
My MAP sensor was really black!
How do I check the turbo actuator?

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Mine recently did the same thing, take the ebp sensor out and see if it is clogged with sut, the tube feeding the ebp sensor may also be clogged! I just cleaned mine yesterday and it has worked great since!

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Sorry didn read your last post.... With the key off the actuator should move smooth and freely and it will return to the off position on its own...

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Don't put your fingers in or around that actuator or rod when the key is cycled.

Check for boost as well as exhaust leaks.

Bigshow

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
The rod appears to move freely - strokes freely and returns.
In addition to changing my MAP sensor, EBP sensor and tube, I also cleaned the MAF sensor. There is another sensor in the intake that was damn dirty - not sure what it was (maybe intake air temp??).
The problem isnt horrific; however, I dont recall this tune being so smoky last summer unless really tramping the pedal to the floor. Where I live, the lighter winter fuel doesnt make as much power and it was with the return to the heavier summer diesel that the problem became evidient.
Upon testing (and I truly do not recall this happening before but I also wasnt watching as closely) I notice that if I am driving along and mash the pedal to the floor, I will get a slightly lower max boost pressure than when I press it slowly, or press the pedal from the operational position, in say 3 stages, vs tromping it...

Last edited:

Bigshow

Reaction score
I am basing that on the numbers displayed on my Minimax, and I can tell my factory boost gauge doesnt quite go as high with the 'stomp'

Bigshow

Reaction score
I had my truck at Ford dealer today to try to do more diagnostics. I had seen a DTC once before but forgot about that. It was a P2453 unknown code on my Minimax. I had cleared that off and today at the dealership, the code surfaced again P2453 Particulate Matter Trap Differential Pressure Circuit.
I cleared code with my Minimax and they verified with their diagnostics that it had been cleared. Drove home about 30 miles and same code present.
All other functions that they tested (with tune / delete) in place tested out as normal.
Any ideas??

Bigshow

Reaction score
Truck is a bit smoky, a bit hard on fuel, and turbo boost appears to be down a bit - is this the result of some glitch whereby its thinking its doing a regen of something similar?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.