Turbo oil drain. Whats your secret?????

TooSlow

Reaction score
I recently removed the turbos from my truck, cab on, to change the hpfp gasket which shorted and burnt one of the wires. Put everything back together and started the truck and low and behold the high pressure turbo drain, didn't just leak, but poured oil.

Took it all back apart (much easier the second time btw) and noticed the hp turbo never fully seated on the drain. Thinking the tube must be bent I went to the dealer to get a new tube and the guy said they had never ordered one and really doubted mine was bent. He also said it would take 3 days to get it, so I decided to give it another shot, rather than spend $50 on a piece I may not even need.

I've fought with this thing and fought with it and I just cannot get it to seat. I've tried it starting with the tube on the turbo, I've tried it starting with the tube in the valley and setting the turbo on it, I've tried it loose on both ends, and trying to connect both ends as it sits down, I've tried everything I can think of.

Am I just missing the obvious or do I have the only bent tube in existence, or is this more common than the parts guy makes it out to be? I'm all out of ideas short of tossing a match to it. Please help!

Sorry for the long post/rant

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Assuming it's sitting on the stud, with no nut, it should have lots of wiggle room. I just set a pry bar in there and pry on the drains flange towards passenger side. Slides right. Use tons of dielectric grease all around the area so no damage occurs to O ring

TooSlow

Reaction score
Right now its sitting on the stud with no nut and both ends are started in but neither are fully seated. They are in just far enough to where the o ring cannot be seen but I cant get it any farther. The turbos are sitting down almost all the way on the pedestal. maybe a 1/16" left to go down but an 1/8" is left to go for each end of the drain.

Levitc88

Reaction score
I had to buy a new drain pipe for mine. The previous owner/mechanic really did a number on the old one. My dealership said I was the first one to order one also. The new one fit perfect first try. And I had no worries about it leaking oil too.

TooSlow

Reaction score
I ordered a new one this morning. Won't be here till Tuesday.

Mbatten

Reaction score
Pry bar with calibrated elbo don't force it just fenes .you should try with zmax intake way worse .

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Did you clean the rusted studs on the base? I always brush em them lube them

TooSlow

Reaction score
Pry bar with calibrated elbo don't force it just fenes .you should try with zmax intake way worse .

Where are you in wv? I'm in north east ky.

CTC DEEZUL Did you clean the rusted studs on the base? I always brush em them lube them

You mean the dowels right? I should have but it never even crossed my mind. I doubt that is whats keeping it from going together as its real close to being down all the way but I will do that when the new tube gets here.

Jmoore1225 Loosen all your V-bands....

I did loosen the exhaust housing vband on the high pressure turbo but it still would not rotate. I wasn't sure how the inside is made due to the vgt so I didn't want to force it.

G Racing

Reaction score
I had one give me the same issues, wouldn't sit all the way down. Took it back off and cleaned both the dowel pin and the hole and it dropped right on.

TooSlow

Reaction score
New tube did the trick. Dropped right on first try. Thanks so much for the help guys!

TooSlow

Reaction score
Yes it was obviously bent after I got the new one. With the turbo end sitting flat on a table the old tube was at least .5" shorter in overall height.

Latest posts

Members online