Turbo Suggestions

Strokersace

Reaction score
So found this when doing my piping kit on the 2015. Had significant dirt grime at the entrance of the turbo. Wheel spins free and no contact on the housing, but starting to get some play.

Options are to rebuild this one with 360 thrust bearing and new wheel, or replace entire thing.

Truck has lost weight, and has a no limit intercooler and piping kit. Stock fuel. Workhorse pulling trailers mainly.

Any aftermarket turbo suggestions out there??? Midwest, fleece, KC, etc? Or best to stay stock? Need tooning revisions anyway so I’m open to whatever!!

3173a743557d7503350a67879124adf1.jpg

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Depending on how heavy you’re towing, I’d recommend either staying stock or going with a stage 1 KC. We used to tow our race stuff with an f250 with a stage 2, and it was very necessary to focus on doing everything correctly. This was probably 18-20k we were towing. After we got rear ended and totaled the trailer, we stepped up trailer sizes, and also got a 450. This one has a stock turbo for now, once it shits the bed well probably put a stage one on it, and I don’t know if it’s all turbo difference, gear difference, or both. Much easier to tow with, and we’re towing heavier now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strokersace

Reaction score
Depending on how heavy you’re towing, I’d recommend either staying stock or going with a stage 1 KC. We used to tow our race stuff with an f250 with a stage 2, and it was very necessary to focus on doing everything correctly. This was probably 18-20k we were towing. After we got rear ended and totaled the trailer, we stepped up trailer sizes, and also got a 450. This one has a stock turbo for now, once it shits the bed well probably put a stage one on it, and I don’t know if it’s all turbo difference, gear difference, or both. Much easier to tow with, and we’re towing heavier now.

Yeah that sounds like towing with a heavily modded 7.3…. Not interested in that chit anymore! You’re wore out from just driving the thing, keeping focused on it all!!! I love the almost “set and forget” aspect of the newer trucks!

It’s looking at the stage 1 KC, but I’ll be honest (and I’m sure I’m in the minority here), I HATE the 03 6.0 turbine sound. It’s excruciating. Like nails on a chalkboard to me! Right now the truck is 5” straight, so I’d definitely have to address that. Sure if there are enough performance gains on stock fuel but still not have to overdrive it, then I’ll figure the exhaust out. Resonator, Donaldson, both… whatever.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds like towing with a heavily modded 7.3…. Not interested in that chit anymore! You’re wore out from just driving the thing, keeping focused on it all!!! I love the almost “set and forget” aspect of the newer trucks!

It’s looking at the stage 1 KC, but I’ll be honest (and I’m sure I’m in the minority here), I HATE the 03 6.0 turbine sound. It’s excruciating. Like nails on a chalkboard to me! Right now the truck is 5” straight, so I’d definitely have to address that. Sure if there are enough performance gains on stock fuel but still not have to overdrive it, then I’ll figure the exhaust out. Resonator, Donaldson, both… whatever.

If you want set it and forget it, stick with stock.

Bigger turbos are laggier, gotta keep it in the seeet spot rpm wise, be it cancelling gears, or driving it with your foot to put it in which gear you want, you’re 100% correct with it being exhausting. With our 250 we had to cancel out 6th gear probably 90% of the time the trailer was on it… it had 3.31s though I believe, the 450 has 4.30s

And I get the turbo whistle not being for everybody, it does get old on long trips, but for me most of the time it’s cool. Although with all the epa shit anymore, not drawing attention to yourself is a good thing…

What gears are in the truck?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Not sure to be honest. But if so, that’d be a viable option too.

The 15-16 turbos are no longer made, all the replacement ones for those are 17+. No real difference, aside from no external oil line, and depending on when the truck was built, the coolant feed line bolt changes sides of the line.

Strokersace

Reaction score
If you want set it and forget it, stick with stock.

Bigger turbos are laggier, gotta keep it in the seeet spot rpm wise, be it cancelling gears, or driving it with your foot to put it in which gear you want, you’re 100% correct with it being exhausting. With our 250 we had to cancel out 6th gear probably 90% of the time the trailer was on it… it had 3.31s though I believe, the 450 has 4.30s

And I get the turbo whistle not being for everybody, it does get old on long trips, but for me most of the time it’s cool. Although with all the epa shit anymore, not drawing attention to yourself is a good thing…

What gears are in the truck?

Stock dually wheels and tires

sootie

Reaction score
I don't agree that it is a requirement to stay stock sized turbo to tow effortlessly and not hawk the gauges.

Just get a modded drop-in turbo that has a factory turbine. Stock characteristics just runs cooler with more power.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Hey Ryan shoot me a txt tomorrow. We’ve had really good luck out of the taterbuilt turbos as well. I’ve personally never ran a 6.7 kc turbo but his stuff is top notch too

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score

I actually have quite a few customers that feel the same way as well. I normally recommend doing our 62.5mm drop in charger for this type of application. It still has the stock turbine wheel so no insane jet sounds lol. It would also start as a 17+ turbo so we'd have to get you the install kit and all as well. Just let me know if I can help at all!

Strokersace

Reaction score
I actually have quite a few customers that feel the same way as well. I normally recommend doing our 62.5mm drop in charger for this type of application. It still has the stock turbine wheel so no insane jet sounds lol. It would also start as a 17+ turbo so we'd have to get you the install kit and all as well. Just let me know if I can help at all!

I’m not seeing that one on the website I guess. The 63 do you guys have listed, says it is a 10 blade turbine wheel. Unless you’re not at Rudy’s anymore…

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I’m not seeing that one on the website I guess. The 63 do you guys have listed, says it is a 10 blade turbine wheel. Unless you’re not at Rudy’s anymore…
It's a little hard to find on the website lol. Sorry about that! If you visit this link the 62.5 will be in the drop down box options. And yes, still at Rudy's!

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
At second glance, that listing really needs to be updated. We don't have a core charge on them and the pricing should be cheaper. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I can get it put together for you.