Turbo up-pipe leak information needed

Bigshow

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the approximate pressure range is in the up-pipe during normal operation?
How much of a leak is required to have the turbo loose performance?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Pressure in up pipe = EBP. So up to 60 psi.

I have seen some trucks with very small leaks lose a significant amount of performance.

Bigshow

Reaction score
A few questions:

- how common is this leakage problem?
- cab off repair?
- is there an updated Ford part or same one as failed part?
- any aftermarket piece thats better?

Halvy85

Reaction score
A few questions:

- how common is this leakage problem?
- cab off repair?
- is there an updated Ford part or same one as failed part?
- any aftermarket piece thats better?

1) The stock up pipes seem to be a fairly common problem. Ive blown two of them so far.
2) Cab off isnt needed to change them out but its gona be tight and time consuming.
3) I believe they are all the same but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.
4) There is lots of good companies on here that sell upgraded ones and thats what I would recommend going with.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
As for repair/replacement:

Either cab off or trans out.

You can do a partial cab lift, but only if the bolts come out.

Trans comes out pretty easy, about 25 mins. Probably take a little longer on the floor though.

Bigshow

Reaction score
What is the best way to determine if you have a leak?
In my thread about what appears to be a delay in turbo spooling and the associated over fuel condition, a poster replied to seal off exhaust system and pressure up through EBP sensor tube. I think they used smoke?
I really dont have any soot anywhere visible, and using soapy water / bubble program doesnt really show much without having some load / exhaust flow because at idle, or revved up, pressure is to low to escape.

FordPSD64

Reaction score
Mine leaks so bad right now I have soot everywhere. But before the leak got that bad I had a buddy put the truck in gear and power brake the truck. At first you could see a little smoke coming out. I could hear mine long before I noticed the soot though

Bigshow

Reaction score
What are the symptoms when the up pipe leaks?
I dont see any soot - but I feel my turbo is a bit lazy as there is a bit of smoke with the slightest throttle application. Then it clears as the turbo spools up. I am not sure about my max boost - it seems to be in the ballpark of where it was before, but it could be off a few pounds and I wouldnt know it as the max boost number has so many 'air' variables like temp, RAD etc...

therealpuller

Reaction score
What is the best way to determine if you have a leak?
In my thread about what appears to be a delay in turbo spooling and the associated over fuel condition, a poster replied to seal off exhaust system and pressure up through EBP sensor tube. I think they used smoke?
I really dont have any soot anywhere visible, and using soapy water / bubble program doesnt really show much without having some load / exhaust flow because at idle, or revved up, pressure is to low to escape.

I just take my phone put it on video and move it all around the pipes then check out the video to see if there is soot on the bellows anywhere.

Latest posts

Members online