turbos

Ipkyss

Reaction score
i hate to even say it again but...

If you dont like the price... build it... if you can't build it, save money till you can afford it...

I guess I am coming across in the wrong way. Money is not an issue. I can fabricate anything to do with mounting, plumbing, ect. I do not know enough about turbos to properly size and modify them. I have in the past spent excessive amounts of money on parts I didn't need, or were more than I needed, to get where I wanted to be. Trying to cut down on that.

Yes, I am sure the turbos for the C-15 are remaned. Pretty sure lots of parts from the tow powers and tow x turbos are too. Does that make them bad? In my eyes. A well rebuilt turbo is as good as new.

You for one must have had the same thoughts as me at one point or another. Or you would have just got a set of high powers or something comparable from the start. I know you didn't start your single because it was easier.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
One thing I think Dustin likes to be able to say he did the system himself. I would love to be able to say that too, but I do not have near the knowledge or skills he has. I take pride in what I am able to do with my own hands on my ride, and I am sure it is the same for him. But I will usually take what is proven and purchasable, it just depends on what you can or want to spend. Since it is my dd, I hate having it down for long. But that is a stupid statement for all of you that know what I am going through now....

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I am not saying that Elite is charging too much for what they are selling. The best of the best cost a lot of money. I am saying that I feel there must be a cheaper way to go about it that would satisfy a lot of people. I am sure a few years from now, there will be exactly what I am talking about. I just don't care to wait that long.

The descriptions don't say what comes with the turbos. I would assume the tow powers are just the turbos as they look to be a direct replacement. Every question I ask is to learn a little more. I never knew a modified wheel could cost 2200+. Something describing the custom work would be nice. Obviously without letting the cat out of the bag... Just letting you know what your paying for.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Something describing the custom work would be nice. Obviously without letting the cat out of the bag... Just letting you know what your paying for.

i think the results are all you're gonna get. proven $hit that works.

BFT

Reaction score
I already posted that... 3750...

ahhh...didnt open the link.

if money isnt an option, then buying a tested and proven set up is nothing.
majority of these companies come out of pocket to build a good kit. if it was easy then everyone would be doing it. you could have your truck down for a week or less by pulling the cab and make 600+on a big tune and 570 on a tow tune, and it tow better then stock and spools just as good, if not better and it look like this...
motor_bling.jpg

whats all the hub ub, bub:shrug:

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
The tow x has so much more than just turbos. Ball brg anyway. Theres new oil lines to both turbos, hot side plumbing,intake boot,coolant manifoild and lines to the lp turbo,cast housing for the gate between turbos machined blocks for mounting, and im sure im forgetting more stuff. Oh boot between turbos,plus all the clamps. There is a lot there.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
im actually confused about the point of this thread. if its not about money, or performance, lag or no lag.... towing or not towing... theres a lot of options out there now, anyone can easily pick a pretty safe pony and ride it. there isnt much deviation in the "truck to truck" comparison because the 6.4 seems to work the same everytime, for everyone. its just goal based, the best question to ask is to explain your needs and get an opinion. if jacob wants he can have zane send me a single kit and i will test it vs my high power setup.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
If you say building you set up is not a Problem.. Then build your own. Like Dustin said "dare" to be different.

For you high pressure turbo get a Garrett GTX3582R. With a .63 or .82 A/R exhaust housing.

For the Low pressure (atmosphere) Get a Garrett GTX4202R OR a Garrett GTX4508R. Both would work good BUT The GTX4508R would be a better choice, For the one reason it flows a little more air. BUT it might be a little easier to fit the GTX4020R in under the hood and keep a more Factory look. For both chargers the 1.01 OR 1.15 A/R housing would work good.

You would want to Gate between stages. AND have a gate before the High pressure turbo...

I think with these turbos you could have good spool up. And have the air for 700 + RWHP

Even a GTX3076 would work good for a high pressure turbo. AND should lite a little Quicker then the GTX3582R Turbo.

Just some food for thought. BUT in the long run it would cost more the the Tow X Compounds from Elite. BUT would move more air. And just flat out be different.

David

BFT

Reaction score
im actually confused about the point of this thread. if its not about money, or performance, lag or no lag.... towing or not towing... theres a lot of options out there now, anyone can easily pick a pretty safe pony and ride it. there isnt much deviation in the "truck to truck" comparison because the 6.4 seems to work the same everytime, for everyone. its just goal based, the best question to ask is to explain your needs and get an opinion. if jacob wants he can have zane send me a single kit and i will test it vs my high power setup.

or just send it to me and not worry your pretty lil head:D

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
So far everyone I hear talking about the single kits is driving in tow haul to keep the smoke and lag down. That doesn't interest me. I don't have a budget in mind. Money is not the issue. I just don't like to feel like I am throwing it out the window. I have got a lot of stuff from Elite. I have liked everything I have got from them including the powermax turbo on my 6.0. It just seems like if I can get a complete brand new turbo for $1,200. There should be other options out there for the 6.4. The massive compounds on my C-15 CAT are only 4k.

I guess the other thing is the tow powers maybe more turbo than I think they are. I guess I just was not expecting the tow x set up to be double the price of the tow powers.

I am done with my towing season for the most part. Going to do the trans soon. Just trying to figure out the plan for this winter. Airdog and turbos were what I was thinking.

Don't need tow haul here and can still tow turbo piping and correct sizing and the design of batmowheel spools great and can still tow

My truck will be out at Kansas with me and Eric for anyone that wants to ride in it

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
If you say building you set up is not a Problem.. Then build your own. Like Dustin said "dare" to be different.

For you high pressure turbo get a Garrett GTX3582R. With a .63 or .82 A/R exhaust housing.

For the Low pressure (atmosphere) Get a Garrett GTX4202R OR a Garrett GTX4508R. Both would work good BUT The GTX4508R would be a better choice, For the one reason it flows a little more air. BUT it might be a little easier to fit the GTX4020R in under the hood and keep a more Factory look. For both chargers the 1.01 OR 1.15 A/R housing would work good.

You would want to Gate between stages. AND have a gate before the High pressure turbo...

I think with these turbos you could have good spool up. And have the air for 700 + RWHP

Even a GTX3076 would work good for a high pressure turbo. AND should lite a little Quicker then the GTX3582R Turbo.

Just some food for thought. BUT in the long run it would cost more the the Tow X Compounds from Elite. BUT would move more air. And just flat out be different.

David

by the time someone was done it would cost nearly as much as high powers. i know cole runs the gt35 and the 4202 but i think it has left him with more to be desired. we know with enough fuel the high powers can make 800+ ... theres so much more to it though. that type of setup needs some custom tuning if you want to make it real streetable i would assume. i would be concerned about fitment of the 45 , as there is probaly a considerable amount of relocation that will have to go down, another reason the high/max power kit is good, as its designed by elite and precision to fit under the hood in stock location. ahh... so many options. i like it.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
by the time someone was done it would cost nearly as much as high powers. i know cole runs the gt35 and the 4202 but i think it has left him with more to be desired. we know with enough fuel the high powers can make 800+ ... theres so much more to it though. that type of setup needs some custom tuning if you want to make it real streetable i would assume. i would be concerned about fitment of the 45 , as there is probaly a considerable amount of relocation that will have to go down, another reason the high/max power kit is good, as its designed by elite and precision to fit under the hood in stock location. ahh... so many options. i like it.

I understand were you are coming from BUT A GTX35 under a GTX4202 would flow way more air then just the standard GT35 under the GT4202. Not to mention you would have a lot better spool up with the X version.

And if you shop around you can get both turbos for about 4300 to 4500 together shipped to your door. BUT then you have to buy to Gates and take the time to make all the plumbing to make it work..

If a guy had all the time in the world, Then it could be something to look into. BUT like you said with all the good options out there, it would be quicker and easier to just buy a already made set that you KNOW for a fact will work. AND if it does not work and you have problems. Then you can just turn to the company that built them and SAY.. Help me. By the way those are two of the hardest words to say.. LOL. But honestly.. it is nice to have a company that builds the product AND tests it before they sell it. AND a company that will stand behind there product. That right there counts for a LOT..

To make the story short.. But a already built and tested kit.

David

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I understand were you are coming from BUT A GTX35 under a GTX4202 would flow way more air then just the standard GT35 under the GT4202. Not to mention you would have a lot better spool up with the X version.

And if you shop around you can get both turbos for about 4300 to 4500 together shipped to your door. BUT then you have to buy to Gates and take the time to make all the plumbing to make it work..

If a guy had all the time in the world, Then it could be something to look into. BUT like you said with all the good options out there, it would be quicker and easier to just buy a already made set that you KNOW for a fact will work. AND if it does not work and you have problems. Then you can just turn to the company that built them and SAY.. Help me. By the way those are two of the hardest words to say.. LOL. But honestly.. it is nice to have a company that builds the product AND tests it before they sell it. AND a company that will stand behind there product. That right there counts for a LOT..

To make the story short.. But a already built and tested kit.

David

yeah but the lp turbo in the high powers is bigger than a 4202 ..its a 45x i believe with a hybrid comp cover to fit under the hood. its a good bit bigger than the 4202. the lp turbo is a 63 iirc and not any smaller than a 35? what is a 35, a 62mm ?

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I have a set of II turbos sitting here if you want to buy them. I'll make you a deal but its as is no warranty. II is not a good company in my opinion. That's why i took them off. PM me if your interested.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
yeah but the lp turbo in the high powers is bigger than a 4202 ..its a 45x i believe with a hybrid comp cover to fit under the hood. its a good bit bigger than the 4202. the lp turbo is a 63 iirc and not any smaller than a 35? what is a 35, a 62mm ?

The GTX3582R is this....

GTX3582R COMPRESSOR TURBINE
Turbo CHRA
803715-1 706451-34
Wh Dia Trim A/R
Ind Exd
62.5mm 82.5mm 58 0.70
Wh Dia Trim A/R Type
68.0mm 84 See below See below

GTX3582R_comp_e.jpg

And the GTX4202R

GTX4202R COMPRESSOR TURBINE

Turbo CHRA
800269-2 451888-44
Wh Dia Trim A/R
Ind Exd
75.8mm 102.0mm 55 0.60
Wh Dia Trim A/R Type
82.0mm 84 See below See below

GTX4202R_Compressor_Map_e.gif

To the OP. You have the the Tow Powers now, Right??? And you would like to go the the Tow X Power Turbos right???

Here is a thought for you. The High boost turbo in both the tow power and tow X power are the same. So you have one turbo all ready. Why not contact Elite and see if they would be willing to take the Top charger (atmosphere) that you have now. And use it as a partial trade for the Top Charger from the tow X setup, Along with all the stuff needed to make it work with the high boost turbo you have now??? I would think that that would be a little cheaper. Just a thought or two..

David

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online