Twin compound setup

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I'm not sure. I would ask him but it's been so long since he has had his truck he might not remember :doh:

Sent from a Cummins plant, driving a TDI, wishing it was a Powerstroke

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
definitely sounds like an interesting idea, but with so many successful compound setups out already, its a little hard to justify the research and testing on the set up. Like I said that's where we were at with what we had in mind. The only thing that has pushed us to investigate further is the Wow factor that it would bring. Compound set ups are very reliable, and proven so for the average guy looking to make power it makes sense. But looking forward to seeing what you put together

Mdub707

Reaction score
So a tripple compound is making 1000+ while a quad is making 1200+ I am not sure why some are suggesting a tipple setup then? Im not creating an argument per say, but a reasoning for which direction to go, IF I proceed with this project.

The setup under the hood of Nicks truck is awesome to look at, and seems functional... did he ever fix the issue of it randomly not starting? I had heard the up-pipes were pretty close to maybe the crankshaft or camshaft position sensor? I know at TS it had a couple no starts on him out in the parking lot. Again, I haven't read about it in a while so it may have been nothing. The setup is so tight under the hood, it would probably be a project by itself just to get air filters on the thing. I've never seen it with filters on it to date.

The triple compounded setup will make whatever you spec it to make. If you have the fuel supply, and the appropriately sized turbos you can do whatever your heart desires. You can do it with two if you want, instead of making three. I know you like the factory 6.4 compound setup, I think that's great for street driving and then hanging one large atmospheric out in front of it for the all out power on the track... golden.

If you're looking to build a truck that lives it life running at the drag strip and will never be registered for the road, I wouldn't even bother with that, I would do a simple compound setup with two non VGT chargers and have at it. I see no need to complicate the hell out of everything with four turbo's. Nicks truck is setup that way so he can make easy and big power on a truck that can still be somewhat driven daily, and keep the smoke levels down.

I like the ideas being thrown around, but I think you seriously need to get a good grasp on your goals and what you want this truck do to before spec'ing anything. Is the idea of stock 6.4 compounds on each bank cool sounding? Sure. Is it practical? Maybe not...

the chad

Reaction score
Not to my knowledge it wasn't. Last time I saw it, still had some no start issues on occasion. He replaced the cps I believe, but like you said it's definitely a work of art, but definitely a little bit complicated under the hood.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
definitely sounds like an interesting idea, but with so many successful compound setups out already, its a little hard to justify the research and testing on the set up. Like I said that's where we were at with what we had in mind. The only thing that has pushed us to investigate further is the Wow factor that it would bring. Compound set ups are very reliable, and proven so for the average guy looking to make power it makes sense. But looking forward to seeing what you put together

Btw if you brought this idea up to craig he might stab you through the phone lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Btw if you brought this idea up to craig he might stab you through the phone lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

probably.......guess il go back to chatting with hot babes online instead....

images_zpsc5e90639.jpg

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I read in that thread that he had the II pump so I'm sure that's why he was running out of fuel. Is there room with his setup to have dual fuelers though?

Sent from a Cummins plant, driving a TDI, wishing it was a Powerstroke

Yes he should have room. He has (had) a lot of roam to grow with the air he had. I could see a easy 1200 plu with dual HPFP.

Should be, doesn't Eric run dual fuelers?

Yes Eric has dual HPFP.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
If you're looking to build a truck that lives it life running at the drag strip and will never be registered for the road, I wouldn't even bother with that, I would do a simple compound setup with two non VGT chargers and have at it. I see no need to complicate the hell out of everything with four turbo's. Nicks truck is setup that way so he can make easy and big power on a truck that can still be somewhat driven daily, and keep the smoke levels down.

I like the ideas being thrown around, but I think you seriously need to get a good grasp on your goals and what you want this truck do to before spec'ing anything. Is the idea of stock 6.4 compounds on each bank cool sounding? Sure. Is it practical? Maybe not...

Mike, you make a valid point. What if I built it with the same idea as Eric's truck then, keep it street-able? Thinking about it more, it may be more practical for the truck to be street-able for a few reasons. Have to think on this some more.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.