Twin Superduty Pump install

TARM

Reaction score
AWESOME!!! I was about to mention that hydraulic filters can be sued as a heavy duty alternative they can just be harder to find locally sometimes. I think thats a good idea for the use of the check valve. I was super close to doing that some thing on my early system but ended up delaying ordering the check valve and it saved me as I figured it out while working on it. Glad you will still have use for them.

evo45

Reaction score
For now the cv will stay on the truck just because I need a couple more parts to change them out and will have to replace both hoses. When I do need some more parts from jegs I'll throw the 2 couplers I need into the order and pull them out. I have noticed that when I change the fuel filter on my truck with the Fass fuel does want to back flow from the line and will keep pouring out till I put the new filter on so adding a cv to the fuel line will keep alot of the mess down when I need to change a filter. Thanks again for the idea, I'll post up pics of how it turns out when I get to it.

TARM

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing with the FASS I ran for a very short period.

evo45

Reaction score
What made you remove it? I like mine, it tells you when you need to change filters. It really starts to scream when they are dirty.

TARM

Reaction score
The pump failed and that was the second time and right after a rebuild. Was very loud. I am not big on FASS but as with most things if it works for someone, good for them. It did give me a chance to look over how they did the air sep. Nothing special. I had thought it was something more complex. IMO the AD is superior in most every way. But again if your happy with what you have and its running well.......

evo45

Reaction score
If it dies, I will run a dual pump set up next. I bought mine Fass for $200 used so for the price I was ok with it. I would like to set up a air return like Fass did but I dont think there is any way to do that with a regular filter head. If the fass dies tho I might cut it up and make a custom filter head out of it. I hope that day doesnt come when I am in the middle of nowhere tho. That is my biggest concern about this pump. Thanks for all your help.

TARM

Reaction score
My thoughts on it is to drill a hole in the filter base so that it goes into the outer ring of the filter. Tap the hole. Then take a fitting and you can tap it on the inside if you wish or even weld it shut. Drill the small hole to act as a restrictor 1/16 or smaller in the closed off fitting (welded or using a piece the thread from a bolt). Just enough to allow the smallest flow back to the tank but not enough to effect pressure/flow at the reg up on the engine of the RR. The air will collect and settle to the top well becasue of the filter media barrier where it will flow back to the tank. You could also make a very basic surge tank and make it tall as will clear and add a small lift pump if you want.

My system if you seen it is a bit more complex but you can separate and make it more basic.

You like I got a very good deal on the FAss which is the only reason I tried it. For the retail cost of one I can do a great system with lift pump surge tank very good HP pump etc..

evo45

Reaction score
I just installed a fuel pressure guage on the F350 that I installed these pumps on and it is reading 83 psi! This is at idle and the pressure drops to 75psi at full throttle. The sending unit is between the pumps and the filter not between the filter and the engine. I didnt have the part to put the sending unit into the fuel bowl and there was a guage port on the y fitting so I just used it. I want to get a second sending unit and put it onto the fuel bowl and run a switch so I can flip between the 2 sending units. That way I can get the differential pressure to tell how bad the filter is. These pressures are with brand new filters to. I just changed them when I put the guage on. I didnt think the stock pumps would push out that much psi.

Tarm, I like that idea about tapping the filter head and running another return line for air. The pressure of the fuel would send most of the air back to the tank and a little less pressure on the engine would be ok I would think. I thought stock the fuel pressure was set to 65psi.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I just installed a fuel pressure guage on the F350 that I installed these pumps on and it is reading 83 psi! This is at idle and the pressure drops to 75psi at full throttle. The sending unit is between the pumps and the filter not between the filter and the engine. I didnt have the part to put the sending unit into the fuel bowl and there was a guage port on the y fitting so I just used it. I want to get a second sending unit and put it onto the fuel bowl and run a switch so I can flip between the 2 sending units. That way I can get the differential pressure to tell how bad the filter is. These pressures are with brand new filters to. I just changed them when I put the guage on. I didnt think the stock pumps would push out that much psi.

Tarm, I like that idea about tapping the filter head and running another return line for air. The pressure of the fuel would send most of the air back to the tank and a little less pressure on the engine would be ok I would think. I thought stock the fuel pressure was set to 65psi.

Should be regulated at the bowl right?

Last edited:

evo45

Reaction score
Yes it is regulated at the bowl, I thought that was 65psi. I know the reg is working because if I run the truck for 10 min, turn it off for 2 min I can put my hand on the fuel return line and it gets very hot from the fuel in the bowl goin back to the tank. I am gonna price out 2 reg return systems for my truck and my dads. I will do DIY kits and just order the parts I need.

Latest posts

Members online