Twins for dumbies

TARM

Reaction score
Well hell I do not know what happened to the post I made last night. Figures as as I took some time on it as well.

Junior,

The point on the 4288 is most that are using compounds on the street want the fast spool up and are not looking at boosting over 100 psi total at the manifold. That puts most turbos comp sides in the 62-67mm size 38r, H2e, QSSB, etc.. The GT4288 has basically a 38r/small 40 compressor wheel but with a Full gt42 center section and turbine wheel. The 42 in the name gives use the center section and usually know turbine wheel and the 88 is the exducer size of the comp wheel This is how Garrett naming convention works.

Yes with your current 4202 you could swap out the comp cover and wheel for the smaller one to get faster spool up and have the same as the gt4288. You could also as a single swap out to the 4294 parts and have that.

With the larger turbine wheel and running a 1.01 housing you will have spool up very close to the a 38R. I and other can say how fast the 4294 with 1.15 spool up. This will be even faster with just the smaller comp wheel but then adding in the 1.01 housing should increase that even more. There maybe smaller housing as well from other companies such as precision.

Then for the atmosphere side there are a number of motors Cats running 4708 and a bunch running 4702s These get you the 92.7mm Turbine wheel and as OTR pull offs most will come with the larger T6 1.39 housing would be my guess. The 4702 has a bit smaller comp wheel @ 102mm instead of 108mm. But that could easily be swapped if needed or more can be put on the manifold as it has plenty of room in the map for it.

The point is both are home rebuildable, can be found as pull offs in salvage yards, can be upgraded and wheels swapped.

You can make changes once you see how they perform and how it matches with your goals and expectations. The make appropriate changes as needed to meet those goals.

As they are salvage yard pull offs it would certainly make a a budget friendly setup. Even if you had to pickup new comp wheels and rebuild kits.

Anyways that was the setup I came up with thinking about it one night as a decent budget friendly setup using pull offs. It should spool up well and make very good linear power based on what I have learned. Then again I have never built a single compound setup in my life so I could at the same time be wrong. But I think while maybe not being "ideal" like a full custom or having choice of any turbo specs it should work fairly well and when you consider the cost....

Then have the 4288 WG into the intermediate pipe feeding the gt47 and its WG vent to atmosphere or its own downpipe. Have the 47 first stage IC from the stock A:A and the 4288 second stage spray water or IC A:W as the final before hitting the manifold.

Dieselboy,

As I understand it would not matter how much larger your atmosphere turbo was when running a larger manifold turbo like you and Junior have. For the typcial pressures a street driven setup is going to have the effect of the manifold turbo is spool up speed. How fast that initial light up and boost can come on. That's what gives us that best of both worlds. Going to a Gt60 may match up better as far as where both are in their maps (will be at very high pressures) but it will not change the fact that you will still have all the lag you get from the 4202 as it was as a single. The only way to handle this is to make changes that will cause the manifold turbo to spool and lite faster. That means smaller comp wheels, and or tighter turbine housing. In this case I would do both. With the larger turbine wheel you will still be moving a good amount of air and of course will be gating the rest into the atmospheres turbine inlet tube.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Thanks a ton tarm. Guess i have to start looking around for some turbos, and some parts to convert mine into a 4288.

Now only if i could figure a way to keep everything in the engine compartment and squeeze all this in there at the same time. I seen someone who moved the primary forward some then welded the exhaust housings together. I really like that idea simply because of less pipe to run.

TARM

Reaction score
First I would wait to hear back from some of the guys that have BTDT to see if this combo would be effective and I am not completely off my rocker.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I think im going to start looking for a 4702 or a 4708, always have been a single guy due to ease of maintenance but I think its time to try compounds haha

Big Bore

Reaction score
Most atmosphere chargers run along between 20 and 25 psi- just feeding a large volume of air through the primary.

So is this psig or absolute? Also, is that the max psi it would be gated to? In rereading your post quoting Charles it seems the pressure ratio is going to change as boost increases, am I wrong? If I'm right then do you use the max boost to do your math?

jdgleason

Reaction score
So is this psig or absolute? Also, is that the max psi it would be gated to? In rereading your post quoting Charles it seems the pressure ratio is going to change as boost increases, am I wrong? If I'm right then do you use the max boost to do your math?

This is psi gauge. Pressure ratios will NOT change as boost increases. The pressure ratio is a constant.

juniort444e

Reaction score
25psig (psi gauge) is 39.7psia (psi absolute), 25psi + 14.7psi of atmosphere. Since the gauge is set to zero at 14.7psi, a reading of 25 tells us we actually have 39.7psi.

This represents a pressure ratio across that compressor of 2.7:1, 39.7psia / 14.7psia. The meaning of this is that the compressor is taking in air at 14.7psia and compressing it 2.7 times such that it is discharging air at a pressure of 39.7psia. That is the pressure ratio. It is technically described as P2/P1 where P2 is the outgoing and P1 the incoming pressure.

From here the easiest way to see this might be to simply take a ride through the system.

The first stage takes in air at 14.7psia at sea level. If it's producing a pressure ratio of 2.7, then it is compressing that air from 14.7psia to 39.7psia on it's outlet.

The second stage compressor then takes in this air at 39.7psia and compresses it another 2.7 times such that it takes the air from 39.7psia and compresses it to 107.21psia.

Ok. Here i took charles post a did some math by putting in my numbers.
Im guessing the first stage would be the atmosphere and the second stage is the primary.
I figured 25psi from the atmosphere would be a good guess. Let me know what you think.

And those last numbers are absolute so it would read on the gauges... atmosphere 25psi....primary 92.5psi

TyCorr

Reaction score
THats an insane amount of boost!! 92.5psi....hope you can hold your motor together!!

70 sounds better, imo....

juniort444e

Reaction score
Here's another question. Say i dont want to go with a huge atmosphere. Maybe a 38r with my 4202 for atmosphere. Gate the 38r w/1.0 with a 60mm wg at 28+- psi and use my 4202 w/1.15 60mm wg at around 25-30psi..

Im still trying to figure one thing out. From my math above im confused on one thing. The way charles figures this out i understand, but how do you know what to gate your primary at, then how do you calculate your pressure like i did above. Not quite sure.

Ty that was just trying out the math and seeing what happens. I know thats alot of boost but would be fun. LOLLOL I do agree tho 70 is a better number. Even tho i hit 55 now with my single.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Well hell I do not know what happened to the post I made last night. Figures as as I took some time on it as well.

Junior,

The point on the 4288 is most that are using compounds on the street want the fast spool up and are not looking at boosting over 100 psi total at the manifold. That puts most turbos comp sides in the 62-67mm size 38r, H2e, QSSB, etc.. The GT4288 has basically a 38r/small 40 compressor wheel but with a Full gt42 center section and turbine wheel. The 42 in the name gives use the center section and usually know turbine wheel and the 88 is the exducer size of the comp wheel This is how Garrett naming convention works.

Yes with your current 4202 you could swap out the comp cover and wheel for the smaller one to get faster spool up and have the same as the gt4288. You could also as a single swap out to the 4294 parts and have that.

With the larger turbine wheel and running a 1.01 housing you will have spool up very close to the a 38R. I and other can say how fast the 4294 with 1.15 spool up. This will be even faster with just the smaller comp wheel but then adding in the 1.01 housing should increase that even more. There maybe smaller housing as well from other companies such as precision.

Then for the atmosphere side there are a number of motors Cats running 4708 and a bunch running 4702s These get you the 92.7mm Turbine wheel and as OTR pull offs most will come with the larger T6 1.39 housing would be my guess. The 4702 has a bit smaller comp wheel @ 102mm instead of 108mm. But that could easily be swapped if needed or more can be put on the manifold as it has plenty of room in the map for it.

The point is both are home rebuildable, can be found as pull offs in salvage yards, can be upgraded and wheels swapped.

You can make changes once you see how they perform and how it matches with your goals and expectations. The make appropriate changes as needed to meet those goals.

As they are salvage yard pull offs it would certainly make a a budget friendly setup. Even if you had to pickup new comp wheels and rebuild kits.

Anyways that was the setup I came up with thinking about it one night as a decent budget friendly setup using pull offs. It should spool up well and make very good linear power based on what I have learned. Then again I have never built a single compound setup in my life so I could at the same time be wrong. But I think while maybe not being "ideal" like a full custom or having choice of any turbo specs it should work fairly well and when you consider the cost....

Then have the 4288 WG into the intermediate pipe feeding the gt47 and its WG vent to atmosphere or its own downpipe. Have the 47 first stage IC from the stock A:A and the 4288 second stage spray water or IC A:W as the final before hitting the manifold.

Dieselboy,

As I understand it would not matter how much larger your atmosphere turbo was when running a larger manifold turbo like you and Junior have. For the typcial pressures a street driven setup is going to have the effect of the manifold turbo is spool up speed. How fast that initial light up and boost can come on. That's what gives us that best of both worlds. Going to a Gt60 may match up better as far as where both are in their maps (will be at very high pressures) but it will not change the fact that you will still have all the lag you get from the 4202 as it was as a single. The only way to handle this is to make changes that will cause the manifold turbo to spool and lite faster. That means smaller comp wheels, and or tighter turbine housing. In this case I would do both. With the larger turbine wheel you will still be moving a good amount of air and of course will be gating the rest into the atmospheres turbine inlet tube.

A late night post lol. Thats more or less what I tried to say. That they would be to big as a primary for a DD application.

If you wanted all out race setup then yes I believe my S471 in front of something with a 100ishmm Comp wheel would be great.

For me I would love to compound my truck, I personally would go with an s366 feeding say a 4788 or similar size.Maybe even go as big as a 91mm wheel for future upgrades to 400/400s.

Do any of you guys know the formula to calculate boost at the intake manifold.

Junior if you want faster spool up we could trade turbos lol. I wouldnt mind a tad larger, and being a regcab at a whopping 6700lbs with me in it, I wouldnt mind

Last edited:

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
You would have excessive backpressure issue with that setup junior and you gotta think if you did that your really not gaining anything besides a slight quicker spool your high pressure is not what limits you it the atmosphere (as in horsepower potential persay) because after you take your 4202 to the edge its dumping loads of hot air in and then having that hot air recompressed.. Its ineffecient thats why an 88mm or bigger with the properly matched exhaust side would work better.

The whole idea is to keep both chargers inside their highest efficiency so your not overrunning one with the other on the exhaust side of things.

Basically the 38r is there to spool lightning fast then go up to say 17-19 is what chucky had where the atmosphere starts to come online and take over where the high pressure left off you decide where to gate it at basically a smooth transition from high to atmosphere doing the work

Using the 4202 is just defeating the purpose and causing you to spend an insane amount of coin in those huge gates, Im using two 46mm gates one on high dumping to the atmosphere and the atmosphere dumping to exhaust

Big Bore

Reaction score
You would have excessive backpressure issue with that setup junior and you gotta think if you did that your really not gaining anything besides a slight quicker spool your high pressure is not what limits you it the atmosphere (as in horsepower potential persay) because after you take your 4202 to the edge its dumping loads of hot air in and then having that hot air recompressed.. Its ineffecient thats why an 88mm or bigger with the properly matched exhaust side would work better.

The whole idea is to keep both chargers inside their highest efficiency so your not overrunning one with the other on the exhaust side of things.

Basically the 38r is there to spool lightning fast then go up to say 17-19 is what chucky had where the atmosphere starts to come online and take over where the high pressure left off you decide where to gate it at basically a smooth transition from high to atmosphere doing the work

Using the 4202 is just defeating the purpose and causing you to spend an insane amount of coin in those huge gates, Im using two 46mm gates one on high dumping to the atmosphere and the atmosphere dumping to exhaust

What if all you are trying to make is a max of 75psi, and most of the time 60psi?

juniort444e

Reaction score
Well from the one post in here somewhere someone said they wouldnt run smaller than a 60mm just incase you need the extra. I think in my case a 46mm would work fine.

And im just brain storming. Trying to figure out if my current turbo would be good for anything other than a single.

Im still confused on how to figure out the gates. I.e how much psi you set it at, and how to get a smooth transition like silerpsd was saying.

If its a 38r around 17-19 but what if i use a 4088-4288 for primary.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
this is from that other place, but this thread is a real good read, charles answers lots of questions, and it has vids of his 38/47 on 200%'s in post 2 and 12. it even goes into after put the 55 on it, and his thoughts on that. his truck then decided to be a pecker to him, but the first 95 pages or so are all turbo's, wg's, and turbo maps.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91269&highlight=

TARM

Reaction score
Again this is just from things as I understand them from what I have learned from others. You have to look where you are going to be hitting within the map ranges. You can not just put together a smaller this or larger that because you think you do not or do need more or less. It has to be to a degree balanced.

Your manifold has to be sized to what you would tend to choose if you were running a single with your main goal of fat spool up. You then need to match your atmosphere based on where you want to run inside that map. Ideally you want to stay relatively in the middle of the range as that gives you the broadest range.

You are looking to his say between 55-75psi range not that it means much in and of itself. If you check out what ranges are seen from Charles 38/47 combo and others with similar sized setups it works very well as a do all and tow setup. You control the boost and power by adjusting your gates.

By doing what I was saying with the 4288 you are effectively turning it into a 38R size comp with a bit larger turbine side of what you are handling via smaller turbine housing.

Its cheap, configurable, fully rebuildable, and very easy to sell off what you have and you have into it if you choose to grow into a full custom setup.

Understand when looking at smaller atmosphere turbos you are never pushing in more air than what that turbo is flowing. You are simply adding to the bottom end and under the peak curve of it. That is maxing it out as well. Do you want to be maxing your system out where you are dealing with less efficiency or do you want to pick your turbos based on what they do in that broad middle map area. The limits for the turbos of going to big on one is that you will fall off the left side of the map which you of course do not want. But you at the same time do not want to be way off the right and jacked up to the max PR either, not to mention shaft rpm.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
What if all you are trying to make is a max of 75psi, and most of the time 60psi?

Then why not make that the most efficient 60 psi possible.. You have to understand a boost number is not necessarily where its at you can have some outrageously high boost level but all in all its just excessively hot air, the harder you push your small atmosphere to make up for size difference in the air you could have possibly moved with the larger charger is paramount all your creating is more heat and a less effective burn.

You want both chargers at their absolute peak of efficiency, why sizing chargers is so important basically just generally speaking you want something that will flow approximately in the neighborhood of flowing 65 lbs/min comfortably and being pretty well inside its map, now his 4202 will flow approximately 90lbs/min but if you overlay the 38r map and the 4202 your only flowing 25 more lbs on the absolute top end of things.. Chucky's 47 on the other hand starts to take off right where the 38r starts to push that 60lbs/min then heads on up to 125 where its on the outer limits now..

You want the two overlays to look like one big long compressor map for a broader powerband.. Using the 38 and 4202 wouldn't be much of a gain of anything if you see what im saying now, the top charger is what limits you you will never flow more than 90 lbs/min how that is compressed is what your changing i.e. more heat is all your gaining and you'll start running into backpressure issues which is gonna make it a bitch to tune your gates cause i would imagine it would push past the gate and munch the 38 in pretty short order

Big Bore

Reaction score
You want both chargers at their absolute peak of efficiency, why sizing chargers is so important basically just generally speaking you want something that will flow approximately in the neighborhood of flowing 65 lbs/min comfortably and being pretty well inside its map, now his 4202 will flow approximately 90lbs/min but if you overlay the 38r map and the 4202 your only flowing 25 more lbs on the absolute top end of things.. Chucky's 47 on the other hand starts to take off right where the 38r starts to push that 60lbs/min then heads on up to 125 where its on the outer limits now..

You want the two overlays to look like one big long compressor map for a broader powerband.. Using the 38 and 4202 wouldn't be much of a gain of anything if you see what im saying now, the top charger is what limits you you will never flow more than 90 lbs/min how that is compressed is what your changing i.e. more heat is all your gaining and you'll start running into backpressure issues which is gonna make it a bitch to tune your gates cause i would imagine it would push past the gate and munch the 38 in pretty short order

You actually answered a question without being asked. Actually, you answered how does one apply that lbs/min, the second part is how do you arrive at that lbs/min. I can see how to use it on the map using the pressure ratio, I just dont know what it means.

Thanks a bunch btw.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its not something that needs to hurt anybodys brainards. Point is if you are wanting to run compounds but feel that you could make due with 'lesser' in terms of what the setup is capable of, running a small first stage isnt going to accomplish the same thing, in fact its not going to be much better than a large single charger would be. The atmosphere needs to be BIG imo. If you are going to gate/dump the primary into the intermediate piping for the atmosphere anyway there's no reason not to spool a large framed turbo and bleed off whatever you decide you dont need in terms boost. To run lowish, for compounds anyway, boost numbers(50ish) you'll need a larger gate than what has been thrown around in size so far in this thread. 46mm would work for reasonable amts of gating but if you are going to really work the gates you'd need a bigger 55 or 60 mm gate just to keep up with demand.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
It's basically a go big or go home type deal, do it big and do it right you'll be alot happier. A tial 44mm kept up with charles for a long time but it would still creep past occasionally thats why you need not set your boost goal so high that you can't tell when its happening.

And basically he ran 1:1 ratio up to about sixty pounds of boost things started getting a little hot after about 80 i think is what he recalled.. That being said boost is just a swinging needle that's cool to look at you could make all the boost in the world with that 38r + 4204 you'll burn a hole in the piston or worse blow the heads off the thing first trying to push it too far trying to move the air required.. You need high flow out of the atmo not psi

Latest posts

Members online