Twins for dumbies

juniort444e

Reaction score
Or just cut and notch out the wiper cowl from underneath so that it would fit what ever turbo i wanted to. Here are some pics from OneofakindSD's build. Im using his pics because you can see the parts that im talking about and ill circle where im notching it out to fit the turbo.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Here are the pics, some are just there so you can judge if it can be done or not, the others i wrote on to notify where i will be messing with it.

Attachments

• 101_0401.jpg
    101_0401.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 101_0402-1.jpg
    101_0402-1.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 1294110967.jpg
    1294110967.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20110121_214502.jpg
    IMG_20110121_214502.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20110122_205723.jpg
    IMG_20110122_205723.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 40

juniort444e

Reaction score
And the last few. I took a nap earlier so im good.

Attachments

• IMG_20110122_205732.jpg
    IMG_20110122_205732.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20110122_205651.jpg
    IMG_20110122_205651.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 31

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Its hard to say what needs to be done or if it can be done without measurements. Also if I am correct here, you wanted the atmo in the valley to make plumbing easier but if you have to start cutting and fabbing the cowl it kind of defeats the purpose.

juniort444e

Reaction score
That's true. But my main reason for simplifing the tubing is for easier maintanence on it, and less cost to build. Cutting thin sheet metal and welding new stuff in shouldnt be that hard as long as there are no major parts inside that part of the wiper cowl that would need moved or altered. Four cuts and take some measurement while the turbo is in there and weld new stuff in sounds easier then 90degree here, 45 here, and so on. And a smaller charger out front would make it easier to squeeze into a tighter space where as that huge thang i need to clear house for.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
My issue with this is the simple fact that you don't see compounds run the way you thought of doing it on Cummins/Dmax or tractors. Remember those guys have been playing with this stuff for a long time. If it worked & was a huge gain we would have seen it by now.

Big Bore

Reaction score
See im thinking your gonna start pulling air from your secondary to feed the atmo rather than push air to the secondary like before. Pushing is one thing with the primary it will only eat as much air as it wants, pressure makes no difference, now pulling air from a primary to something that flows 2x as much just sounds like bad news to me.. Anything could be done but its not the way i would go about it. I feel no need to reinvent the wheel if i had something to do it on im my boredom i would for sure but thats not an option

Junior, pay very close attention to this post above, because it addresses exactly why your idea will not work.

The purpose of compounds is to pre-compress the air going into the manifold turbo thus taking stress off of that turbo so it can flow more volume with less work.

Creating a vacuum, or suction, will increase the work load on the manifold turbo, and probably slow it down.

Think about it this way. When running plumbing for a house, you never see a smaller line feeding a big line, it's always the opposite because you need volume. Volume is what you are trying to increase with compounds.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Junior, I am no expert by any means but running your exhaust piping the way you are talking about would def the purpose of compound turbos. The spool up for your manifold charger would suck being located it that position.

1. It would take longer for the exhaust gases to reach it.

2. It would loose all its energy trying to light off the atmo charger first.

The whole point of compound turbo's is to get the quick spool of the manifold charger and then have the atmo charger "take over" and supply the higher rpm.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Vader makes sense. Im just tying to think outside the box a little and see why it couldnt work.

Big bore.. I understand that part, but if you read the other posts i wrote, i flipped my idea around a little bit so that in theory it sounds good. But being as everyone is saying no and what not, im starting to believe that it wont workout that way.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Completely understand the thinking outside the box thing. I have been doing alot of that lately as some of the threads on here have me really thinking lately. And when I say outside the box I mean like complete stand alone oil systems outside of the box lol.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Completely understand the thinking outside the box thing. I have been doing alot of that lately as some of the threads on here have me really thinking lately. And when I say outside the box I mean like complete stand alone oil systems outside of the box lol.

That ones been around. I had a long conversation with David Lott on the phone about that exact subject after posting it in a thread on psn, over a year ago. I know someone capable of making it work who is currently working on one as we speak. I think it's a great idea. For one you can use hydraulic fluid that is not subject to shearing, and will probably allow the injectors to respond and operate faster.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That ones been around. I had a long conversation with David Lott on the phone about that exact subject after posting it in a thread on psn, over a year ago. I know someone capable of making it work who is currently working on one as we speak. I think it's a great idea. For one you can use hydraulic fluid that is not subject to shearing, and will probably allow the injectors to respond and operate faster.

Ive been wondering this for years!! A reservoir, a rexroth pump, and hydraulic fluid.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Im gonna tee off the top of the hpop reservoir and run oil to the atmo that way then drain back to the pan.. Once again following chuck

Now that i think about the whole flipping thing its more work than what it is really worth junior, if you v-band everything together such as the intermediate pipe it should simply be two clamps and two bolts to pull it off the entire motor then voila! Access to the passenger side valve cover.

Then again whats under there that your going to need at for more than once a year...

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i think you guys are just a tad confused on how junior wants to set his up. yes the atmo is in the valley,and the hp is out front. he wants that for the exhaust side of the turbos. the atmo will spool first.

BUT, he's gonna, the way i understood it, keep the compressor side plumbing the same. atmo into hp, into motor.

what i dont understand, is why the atmo spooling first? as said, if the hp doesnt spool, nothing will really happen. you would be forcing air into a turbo thats "not ready for it yet". i could be wrong, but that makes sense to me.

Big Bore

Reaction score
i think you guys are just a tad confused on how junior wants to set his up. yes the atmo is in the valley,and the hp is out front. he wants that for the exhaust side of the turbos. the atmo will spool first.

BUT, he's gonna, the way i understood it, keep the compressor side plumbing the same. atmo into hp, into motor.

what i dont understand, is why the atmo spooling first? as said, if the hp doesnt spool, nothing will really happen. you would be forcing air into a turbo thats "not ready for it yet". i could be wrong, but that makes sense to me.

Two words: Major lag.

By doing that you are completely defeating the whole purpose of compounds, little turbo spools fast, then spools the bigger turbo. If you cant spool a big azz turbo by itself, you cant spool it first in a set of compounds.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score

Im kinda thinking the same thing you are...Doesnt sound quite right.

I think he's gonna have to rethink a few points or we're gettting words mixed up.

Im not with the idea of a huge charger sucking through a small one.

Latest posts

Members online