Two new HPFP and both leaking from front seal

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Hay there guys I want to see if anyone else has seen this yet. I know of one person that is having the same issue, but is there more?

So I had a hpfp lockup on me that was in the duel fueler position in the front of the engine. I replaced the pump with a brand new pump and ran it. Everything was fine until it got cold out. Then the pump itself started to leak only when it was clod though. So I got to replace the pump with another new ford pump and put it in recently. This is now the second pump that was new from Ford. Yesterday it was -3* here and when I started the truck up after sitting outside at work all day, the truck was leaking fuel again. Last night I left the truck outside on purpose and unplugged as well. It was -4 last night. This morning I started the truck up and the pump was leaking like crazy again from the front seal. I had my head right next to the pump and checked very carefully for any other leak and found none. Literally when I came out from the engine bay my head was soaked in diesel fuel.:lame: But this is the second pump that I am having issues with in under 250 miles. The other person that has had a similar issue says his only leaks when its cold out as well and from the front seal. My truck also DOES NOT leak when it sits in the heated garage all night.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
How new is your pump. I was told that Seimens has sold out to Champion and that the seal may be a new part.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Dustin that would make sense, but why would it only happen when the truck is cold?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
fuel gets thicker just like oil when its cold.

My set up returns fuel directly to tank, i have had it running in some cold weather 0 degrees recently. but its not common for me to run it like that.

You might need to put a guage or something on the return side and make sure there is little to no pressure.

That seal should basically just be a splash seal, it really doesnt do a whole lot (or shouldnt)

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I will check that here in a little bit then. Should just be able to pull it apart by the fuel cooler and hook the stock pump back up to cooler. Then just put the second pump return into a bucket or something hay?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i would want the whole system to work like normal, can you put a fuel pressure gauge in the factory spot on the fuel cooler?

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
My truck has run in below zero temps lots and lots of times with no issues?

Mine has all last winter with 0 issues until I put the new pump on recently. I was in -35 below last winter and it fired right up without being plugged in and had no issues either. :shrug: Now I put the new pump on and its like a dripping v-jj.

Reaction score
How new is your pump. I was told that Seimens has sold out to Champion and that the seal may be a new part.

Sorry Jerry ! Damn talk to text lol
Continental * is where all the pumps are getting remand for "ford" to the best of my knowledge .

As I was talking with Jerry over the phone I have noticed he is having same issue as I am with pump leaking when parked outside or when pump is cold.

Checked lift pump pressure when cold and it is 10-15 psi "which in my opinion is a high" But regardless of that ... I am also wondering how many of you guys running "dual fuelers" are having this same problem when pump soaks in the ambient air temp ????:shrug:

If so what are you guys running for lift pump pressure at the distribution block??
Second, I am wanting to see if I am seeing a trend here ... What pump is yours??

Continental...

Siemens...

Delphi...???

Now the part # on Your pump "Jerry" I think is a Delphi # but do to the holiday everyone is closed for me to do more research :cursing:

So guys give us your input thoughts and any other constructive input that u see could be the issue.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Mine has all last winter with 0 issues until I put the new pump on recently. I was in -35 below last winter and it fired right up without being plugged in and had no issues either. :shrug: Now I put the new pump on and its like a dripping v-jj.

I am about to put a new pump on mine (in the valley) so I have been looking into this a lot and I think I know what your problem is. With all due respect to Dustin, I respectfully have to disagree. Jerry, your problem is you need to move....-35 degrees is just plain stupid.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I am about to put a new pump on mine (in the valley) so I have been looking into this a lot and I think I know what your problem is. With all due respect to Dustin, I respectfully have to disagree. Jerry, your problem is you need to move....-35 degrees is just plain stupid.

LOL I hear ya on that bud. It has been around 0* all week here so far and not really warming up. I would love to live somewhere warm all year round, but I just don't want to wonder from my families as we are all really tight.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Do you guys think the axial loading placed on the pump shaft/pulley by the belt/tensioner may attribute to some of these leaks?

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
So today I did some tests to see what is going on with the pump. I first started it up outside and checked the fuel pressure at the Air Dog pump as well as at the fuel block on the Air Dog upgrade. Fuel was just literaly pouring out of the pump and onto the ground.

At Air Dog=15psi
At block=10psi

One thing that I did notice is that the regulator was making a little noise when I just turned the key to the on position and not running. I don't know if that is normal or not, but it could be an issue.

So then I pulled the truck into my garage and turned on the furnace to 75*. I waited a little over an hour and went back out into the garage and started the truck up. Not a single drop of fuel came out of the pump.

I went to the store just a minute ago and bought a new bottle of Power Service Anti Gel and dumped about half it in the full tank of fuel that is in the truck. I am wondering if the fuel is getting too thick and starting to cause issues until it warms up. It is a possibity and I will give this a try. The fuel around here is treated at the pumps, but maybe just not enough. I don't know but I am going to give this a try and see what happens.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Who's kit is this dual pump that's got the leaking pump(s)? What manufacturer are you using, and the other guy in here, what kit are you using?

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I really hate your luck for you. Wish this thing would quit giving you issues.

You and me both. I am the kind of person that usually doesn't put up with this chit either and I am really surprised that I didn't say *** it yet and sell the truck. The truck is just awesome though when it is running with no problems. J

Latest posts

Members online